San Francisco HB get together - Page 4

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
gyro

#31: Post by gyro »

I used to get to San Fran a bit, I would have loved to have come, but alas not for the last few years.

If your coffee from Mecca makes in time, I'd like to hear your thoughts on their Darkhorse blend if thats one of the offerings.

Have fun, Chris

artemis

#32: Post by artemis »

This is exciting!

I had a thought about cupping spoons: Wouldn't ceramic asian soup spoons work well? No possibility of metal taste transferring, often white to better show color, have deep bowls, and cheap and readily available in stores. Should I bring some to try?

malachi (original poster)

#33: Post by malachi (original poster) »

No. Wrong size, wrong shape.
But thanks!
What's in the cup is what matters.

#34: Post by malachi (original poster) »

Oh.

One other (important) thing.

Please (PLEASE) don't wear perfume, cologne or strongly scented lotion if you're coming tomorrow.
Makes cupping very difficult.
Thanks!

ManSeekingCoffee

#35: Post by ManSeekingCoffee »

Damn. I was so hoping to subvert the event by getting stetson listed on someone's tasting notes!

This sounds fantastic. Thanks for organizing. And seriously, don't hesitate to set up a tip cup. I'll contribute a little for so much hard work in organizing.

#36: Post by malachi (original poster) »

The response has been awesome!

In fact, as of right now we're completely maxed out. So, if you've RSVP'd, be there tomorrow. If you've not RSVP'd... the plan is to do another of these events (probably in Sept).

Coffees have all arrived.
Roasters participating are:
- Tim Wendelboe (Oslo, NO)
- 49th Parallel (Vancouver, BC)
- Barefoot (Santa Clara, CA)
- Olympia Coffee (Olympia, WA)
- Stumptown (Portland, OR)
- Ritual (SF, CA)
- Intelligentsia (Chicago, IL)
- Mecca (Syndey, AUS)
- Square Mile (London, ENG)
- Ecco (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Four Barrel (SF, CA)

Important note!!! There is little to no chance of finding a parking spot on Natoma and parking in that neighborhood can be a bit challenging. There is, however, pay parking at 10th and Mission. If you're driving I'd suggest using that option.

artemis

#37: Post by artemis »

We plan to hit the farmers market right before 8am at the ferry building (and park near there). Google says the #14 bus leaves steuart and mission at 9:09 and arrives mission and 11 at 9:20.

Is that a good plan? Or is pay parking the better idea?

jeremybb

#38: Post by jeremybb »

Probably not much easier (harder) to park near the ferry building without paying. If you're driving up from san jose, you could park at one of the distal bart stations (e.g. Daly city is right on the 280). Pretty sure parking is free in bart lots on the weekend. Then Bart to embarcadero for the ferry building, and bart to Civic center for the cupping.

artemis

#39: Post by artemis »

Actually, I'm used to paying to park at the Ferry Building farmer's market so that's not a big deal. On Saturdays there is a flat rate garage just for the market ($6). Or if we just do a quick pick up, there is 2 hour on-street if you get there early (before 8am -- paid at meters). We go to that farmers market maybe a dozen times a year (or more).

Not trying to save money, just hassle. Some garages in SF are annoying, as is the driving. I can tolerate the Howard St Garage (park yourself, plenty of spaces on a saturday morning, a known entity for me since I rarely go up to SF), thus my inclination to leave the car there and take the bus down and back.

I'll look into Bart, but as I recall, the pre-8am times on Saturday were scarce. And we haul a cooler to the market and buy meat. For 2 people the $6 parking made more sense. But it won't be just $6 this time (since we'll exceed the market parking hours), it'll probably be over $20 .... Thanks for the alternate option to look into.

HB
Admin

#40: Post by HB »

For those following this thread, see Chris' San Francisco HB Get Together Report.
Dan Kehn