San Francisco cafes?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Deepseaskydiver

#1: Post by Deepseaskydiver »

Hi guys. I am headed to San Fran on Tuesday and will be staying at the Marriot Marquis and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for great espresso bars and roasters that shouldnt be missed. I will be on foot but can easily grab an UBER if it's a cool place.

Also, any thoughts on NAPA? We have 2 days over there and will no doubt need something other than wine :shock:

Thanks in advance!

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE replying to Deepseaskydiver »

Cool! Just as a tid bit from someone who frequents the city, might want to shy away from calling it San Fran. This is a pet peeve of some people that live there. Not sure why!

Anyhow gotta check out....

Verve
Four Barrell
Ritual

They are all about in walking distance.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

There are more coffee places than you can shake a stick at.

BlueBottle (especially the Ferry Building)
Pinhole in Bernal Heights
Andytown ( great in-house baking) near the beach.
Sightglass on 7th (a couple of blocks from bluebottle at the Mint Plaza.

Many more that others will surely chime in on.

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

Deepseaskydiver wrote:
Also, any thoughts on NAPA? We have 2 days over there and will no doubt need something other than wine :shock:
There's a Ritual at the Oxbow Market in Napa (which you should not miss anyway, if you're visiting). If you're in town on a Saturday morning, look for the Ohm Coffee Roasters truck at the farmers market,
- John

LMWDP # 577

barberrian

#5: Post by barberrian »

Caffe Trieste, 601 Vallejo Street in North Beach.

http://coffee.caffetrieste.com/
LMWDP #565

maigre

#6: Post by maigre »

Don't worry about the San Fran thing. Nobody's going to care about that. Legend has it that San Franciscans hate it when people say "Frisco." People don't hate it, it just identifies the one saying it as a tourist who's not so tuned into the local culture. You'll be fine. It's not a concern.

The Blue Bottle on Mint is a short walk from your hotel. If there's anything different about that BB location, it's that they do siphon brews. There's a multi-roaster cafe on Market St. that's just as close called Mazarine. I've been there, but haven't had coffee. It seemed like they're pretty conscientious and they feature good roasters. Sightglass on 7th is right close by, too. We're talking a few minutes walk for all three of those.

If you're at the Ferry Building, there's a Blue Bottle there, too. Verve is up Market in the opposite direction, either is walkable depending on how much you like to walk, probably a little over a mile. It's a short ride on Market St. via metro or whatever other transportation, though. Four Barrel and Ritual are on Valencia. Four Barrel is closer to your hotel than Verve is. Ritual is about 8 blocks south of FB. I agree that Pinhole is worthwhile as a neighborhood multi-roaster in Bernal Heights. Very friendly place. I lived a few minutes walk from there for a long time. Wish they'd been there then.

Saint Frank is out of my way and I've never been there, but I've wanted to and I've heard good things. Andytown, as mentioned, is out near the ocean, now in two locations. The selection is somewhat different at the two. If you want a pourover, you need to go to the new one on Taraval. There are lots of other places, too, depending on where you go. And that's leaving out the East Bay. Check back in if you're looking to spend time there where there are a bunch of other options.

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

When I return to San Francisco, I'll stop by the shared space of Four Barrel and Josey Baker Bread. I recommend it.
LMWDP #198

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#8: Post by mivanitsky »

Linea Caffe

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

Caffe Trieste is very old school, a dark roast pulled too hot. I like their coffee if I pull it at about 175F.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mdmvrockford

#10: Post by mdmvrockford »

mivanitsky wrote:Linea Caffe
I second this recommendation of Linea. I've been to San Francisco at least 10 times but only truely tried and had palate to appreciate espsresso on last three trips. In general, the whole Bay area has TNTC great cafes.

Slight off topic recommendation:
Please skip any pastries at Linea and go to Tartine for the pastries. Since there is a line at Tartine (my experience 10 min to 45 minutes) I would suggest split your group (if possible) so that one person buys the coffee & espresso and other person stands in line at Tartine Bakery. Tartine is <5 min walk west of Linea. Tartine is generally regarded as the best bakery in San Francisco. In my experiences, I would say the entire USA. My Slavic wife would say the world (but we have not been to France yet). I have read Josey Baker Bread is up there with Tartine.(w.r.t. bread). Their Country bread does live up to the hype. My children and wife insisted on going to Tartine from Sacramento area when our plane took off from Fresno. Of course said children and spouse did not have to drive :evil: :evil:
LMWDP #568