Rock House - Chicago Suburbs

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
JerDGold

#1: Post by JerDGold »

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, and it's gets tiring making the 45 minute trek To Bowtruss/Metropolis/La Colombe etc... for coffee. I recently spotted a place that advertises fresh roasted coffee in with locations in Glenview and Wilmette called Rock House. It doesn't appear as reputable as the big roasters I'm used to in Chicago, but does anyone know anything about this place? Jim?

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

No, but if you're out west, check out crema bean or standard market (They carry George Howell/Ruby).

Otherwise, hit them up and let us know.

Advertisement
JerDGold (original poster)

#3: Post by JerDGold (original poster) »

I'm not west, I'm Lake County. My local whole foods has started carrying Bow Truss, Dark Matter and Metropolis, but it's a low probability crapshoot thst any of it is within usable freshness range.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Barb »

Don't be so discouraged at Whole Foods.
In Chicago the WF stores carry Dark Matter freshly roasted. You may have to paw through bags but I usually find at least one Dark Matter bean roasted within the week of my purchase.
Also, look for Passion House beans now carried at WF .A local roaster. I have been pleased by the shots pulled .Very fresh. Bags roasted 7-8 days prior to the day I purchase which for me is good as it allows the several days for the beans to "degas" or settle in after roasting.One of my favorite Indie cafes (Killer Buzz Espresso on Damen between Wabansia and North Avenues) .One of their toastmasters(is that a term?) spoke highly of Passion House coffee quality I
would expect suburban WF to carry if the city stores do

#5: Post by JerDGold (original poster) replying to Barb »

Update on Rock House:

Bought a bag of their Heavy Metal "Espresso Blend". Pretty burnt. No roast date on the bag, although I was assured it was roasted in the last day or two. Seems significantly older. I'll try another lighter roast and see if it's any better, but I can think I can safely say these guys (like me) don't know much about roasting coffee beans.

The coffee shop next where I work seels fresh Passion House, but the espresso blend they carry is a little lightly roasted for my taste. I do buy it however if I'm in a pinch. (Which I usually am) The whole foods near my house does carry an awesome (!!) selection of Dark Matter, Metropolis, Intelly and Bow Truss. I must look like a crazy person rummaging through 18+ day old bags and then leaving empty handed!

If there was a way for me to be notified automatically (e-mail?) when new product is delivered, I'd be all set!

Barb
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Barb »

My Chicago WF carries several Passion House blends. I noted two espresso blends. I chose Baseline, which also had a capital A on it ,the other blend had a"B" ; I do not know what those letters signify.
I paw through bags, too, and most often find some freshly roasted beans as well.Yes, I see the 18 day or month old bags, too.and I pass.

brianl

#7: Post by brianl replying to Barb »

Passion house categorizes their beans into three categories: comfort (ambient), middle of the road (mainstream), and new wave (experimental). It sounds like the OP gets the experimental blend, which is pretty acidic but interesting. passion house was always super hard to find for me as their coffee is usually sold more up north. I'm glad whole foods has them now, assuming good roast dates.

Funny, I was at whole foods Monday digging into bags on the shelf. One day we will run into each other, ha.

Advertisement

#8: Post by JerDGold (original poster) »

Yes, I they sell the "E" passion house blend. It has sorta turned me off on Passion House, seems a little too 3rd wave for me, but I'll try some other ones if I get the opportunity. As for Whole Foods, I just don't see how there is any demand to move all that premier coffee in a timely enough manner to keep a stock from fresh stuff from all those roasters. Maybe demand is higher in the City, but here in Deerfield/Highland Park, I don't see many people insisting on 7 day old or less whole bean coffees.

Barb
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Barb »

My WF at Halsted and Waveband seems to move coffee. Passion House and Dark Matter can be found with one and two week roast dates. Those who brew coffee are not picky but those of us with real espresso equipment want the fresher beans.
Interesting to find the Passion House coffee I like is considered the more acidic blend. I do not care for the new Dark Matter more acidic espresso blend, preferring Unicorn Blood (love those names, me being a liker of all things vampire-genre!).

As to bumping into folk at WF.. We need Home-Barista t shirts, pins, patches so we can identify ourselves to one another <g>

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Barb wrote:
As to bumping into folk at WF.. We need Home-Barista t shirts, pins, patches so we can identify ourselves to one another <g>

[FS] HB lapel pins

:mrgreen:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/