Recommendations for a week in Seattle

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Chuckster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Chuckster »

Hi from Denver,

We're headed to Seattle later this summer. Any current recommendations for "don't miss" coffee for a first time visitor?

Thanks,

Chuck

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations. But I think you will also find it interesting to compare the super-dense micro-ristrettos pioneered by David Schomer at Vivace and the other shops that follow that style on Capitol Hill with the newer shops in other neighborhoods around town that don't.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
Crispy

#3: Post by Crispy »

Don't miss the Starbucks Reserve cafe for the spectacle of it all if nothing else.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster replying to Crispy »

It is worth a look, then you can cross the street to Victrola for some good coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

Ken Davids' review notwithstanding, you will probably enjoy the Starbucks Reserve extravaganza, if you go downstairs, sit at the brew bar, have a discussion with your barista about the kind of roast you want and then choose a (non-espresso) brewing method. It is a very nice coffee experience. The good pizzas on the main level are a bonus.

As for the other shops on Capitol Hill, I like clarity in my espresso and do not favor the very dense micro-ristrettos served up there. Others obviously love them, so YMMV.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Chuckster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies - we're looking forward to our visit. It sounds like a great town for a foodie/ coffee lover!

pennywise

#7: Post by pennywise »

So, Chuck, have you been to Seattle yet? If you have and you're willing to share, I'd love to read your thoughts on what interesting cafes you visited and also about your Seattle espresso experiences in general.
Thanks!

Advertisement
Chuckster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Chuckster (original poster) »

Hi Barbara,

Shortly after posting this we had a change in plans and are heading to the Bay Area and Napa for a week instead of the Seattle trip. I'm hoping for great coffee in SF. We really want to make the Seattle trip soon!
Chuck

pennywise

#9: Post by pennywise »

I've never been to Napa, but I love the San Francisco area. I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting cafes there -- maybe just not as many espresso-specific ones as there are in Seattle, though. :wink:
Have a great time, Chuck! Take care!
Barbara

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Chuckster wrote:Hi Barbara,

Shortly after posting this we had a change in plans and are heading to the Bay Area and Napa for a week instead of the Seattle trip. I'm hoping for great coffee in SF. We really want to make the Seattle trip soon!
Chuck

Stanza in the Mission for anything pour over (the best in the city by a wide margin), Linea Caffe for cappuccino done very well (also in the Mission). Some of the big name places are more about being a "coffee scene" versus serving delicious coffee (something many of them haven't done for a very long time). If you head out towards the Outer Sunset, Andytown has a great small cafe vibe with very attentive, friendly baristas and probably the best freshly baked goods you can find. If its a hot day, definitely give their Snowy Plover a try. It's not one to miss.

Old school, head to North Beach and see the cafe that started it ALL; Cafe Trieste.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/