Portland Roasting Meetup with Rob Hoos, 2/18/17

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

I've asked Rob Hoos if he would be willing to host a gathering of H-B roasting enthusiasts, and he's graciously accepted. We will meet on Saturday, February 18, between 10 and 1 to cup each other's home-roasted coffees, have Rob answer questions and demonstrate Nossa Familia's Loring Kestrel roaster. For those who don't know, Rob is a roasting consultant and teacher, author of a terrific book entitled Modulating the Flavor Profile of Coffee, and the head roaster at Nossa Familia.

Reserve February 18 on your calendars! It's the weekend before President's Day.

Here's the address:

Nossa Familia Coffee
1319 NW Johnson St
Portland, OR 97209
503-719-6605

Please respond to this thread so I can compile an attendee list that I'll add to this announcement.

Attendees:
LDT (Laron)
Andy
drgary (Gary)
NossaCoffee (Geoff)
keno (Ken)
thuegli (Todd)
tadpole (Tim)
Chert (Flint)
roadman (Jonathan)

Added 1/22: Chert is trying to organize a swap of greens. Please PM him as the organizer of that.

Added: 1/26:
NossaCoffee wrote:Gary asked if Nossa could sell some green for you guys to play around with (and perhaps profile match our production roasts?). We're happy to do that.

Brazils, Guatemalans, and our Kenyan will be up for grabs.
Thank you, Geoff! I especially like the idea of comparing our home roasts with your production roasts. Wish us luck. We'll need it!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

LDT

#2: Post by LDT »

It's on the calendar! Thanks for setting this up.

Andy

#3: Post by Andy »

I'm in!

NossaCoffee
Sponsor

#4: Post by NossaCoffee »

I'll be there!

keno

#5: Post by keno »

Count me in! Really enjoyed reading Rob's book and learned a lot. Thanks for setting this up Gary!

Fausto

#6: Post by Fausto »

Will try and be there, can't guarantee it this far in advance. Haven't roasted before, but I've done a lot of reading, it would be an excellent learning opportunity I'm sure.

thuegli

#7: Post by thuegli »

Gary,
Thank you for setting this up. Ken just told me about this and I'll definitely be there.

Todd

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

I have it marked on my calendar. [edit 1/12/2017 now that it looks like a definite plan.]

That evening, a jazz group I really like is playing at the Alberta Street Pub. Trio Subtonic. So I have two good reasons to head on over.
LMWDP #198

JoeYang

#9: Post by JoeYang »

I look forward to meeting you all :D

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Welcome to HB! Do you prefer being called Joe or Wenbo?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!