Portland Coffee Crawl, Saturday July 12

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Update: We will start at Coava Coffee Roasters at 1300 SE Grand Ave., 10:30, Saturday July 12. This is at the corner of SE Grand and SE Main.

Some of us have just arrived in Portland (Coffeeland) and would enjoy a cafe crawl guided by long-time resident H-B members. Danetrainer has suggested Saturdays and Mondays would be good for him. I think Saturdays will better accommodate more people's work weeks. Best Saturdays for me start on June 28. I'll be away July 26 and August 2. I would like a meeting time of 10:30 to give people time to gather and still start in the morning hours where caffeine isn't an issue. Who else is interested? I'll list your names and preferred dates in this first post. Also please list any cafes you don't want to miss. I'll start with that. (As we approach the date I'll list those who want to show up by name.)

Danetrainer: Saturdays
DavidMLewis: Saturdays 10:30: Heart, Sterling, Coffeehouse Northwest
dogjamboree
drgary: Saturdays 10:30: June 28 through July 19: Coava, Barista, Nossa Familia (1 block from Barista), Heart
keno: Saturdays 10:30: Heart, Ristretto
LDT: Saturdays first choice, then mid-week availability
Marosmith (and friend): Saturdays? Barista, Water Avenue, Portland Roasting
roadman
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Hey Gary,

I'd definitely be up for the cafe crawl. Saturdays at 10:30 would work for me most weekends. I might add Heart and Ristretto to your list, but will gladly defer to the locals on the cafe selection.

Looking forward to meeting you and some other HBers!

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

Gary,

I received you VM and understand the challenges of moving. Add my name to the list of interested attendees. Saturday would work best, but I could make arrangements for a weekday event. This past January, I did the Stumptown roaster tour mid-day on a weekday and that was interesting.

Junior
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Junior »

I'm interested in a Saturday event as well, but my schedule is tight even on weekends this summer. I may just have to read about the aftermath like everyone else.

Water Ave coffee (next to clive) is also a good stop. I'm a sucker for Spella as well, but it might be easiest to stick to the East side for round 1.
Michael

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I tried a Water Avenue SO and found it similar to the underdeveloped third wave lemonade roasts in the Bay Area. No matter what temperature I used or how long I let it rest I could not get a decent brew. Have others had that experience with their coffees? Am I dismissing them too soon?
Gary
LMWDP#308

danetrainer

#6: Post by danetrainer »

Mike had reported to me that same thing when he visited a couple months ago. I had an
exceptional El Salvador a year ago, but as we know roasting styles change...my same
experience with Heart.

I'm good for Saturday when a date gets determined. I could also check and see if we could
make a visit to a certain micro-roaster once a date is hammered out.

Mochamaker

#7: Post by Mochamaker »

I would love to join the Crawl. I am in Spokane and would drive down for it. I did one on my own with my wife in January, and it was a blast. Saturdays are normally good in the summer.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Mochamaker wrote:Saturdays are normally good in the summer.
Dan, we would love to have you join us. Can you please clarify the earliest Saturday that would work?
Gary
LMWDP#308

Marosmith

#9: Post by Marosmith »

Me and my friend would love to come if we are around. I know most of the more impressive shops In the area.

Marosmith

#10: Post by Marosmith »

drgary wrote:I tried a Water Avenue SO and found it similar to the underdeveloped third wave lemonade roasts in the Bay Area. No matter what temperature I used or how long I let it rest I could not get a decent brew. Have others had that experience with their coffees? Am I dismissing them too soon?
I think water ave is great. Also Portland roasting has a very nice cafe now not too far away. Very interesting setup, very high end with a strada machine. Been there twice, once the single origin shot I had was amazing, second time not so much. They do cuppings and have quite the setup and prob worth going there just to see it.

Also, I really like Barista, there is one in the pearl and one in the alphabet. They use 3-4 different roasters at a time and you will get stuff from as far as the east coast to try. I had something from a roaster from Washington DC there a few weeks back that was amazing.