12/12 Arizona H-B GTG

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
gophish

#1: Post by gophish »

Putting out a feeler of doing an Arizona based H-B get-together before the end of the year. My first thought was to reach out to some of the area roasters and see if they would be interested in hosting us for a portion, but the number of H-B'ers in the AZ is somewhat unknown to me, so I figure we should get a count together first. I'm in central Phoenix, so my first inclination would be for this to take place in the valley, but if someone in Tucson can help, the Old Pueblo could be a possibility as well.

My initial thoughts include:
Reaching out to see if Press would be kind enough to host us at their roasting facility - It's not a glamorous space, but they have lots of different coffees, and at least the last time I was there, they had a GS/3 and Kony-e or Royal-e. I would also try and reach out to Cartel and see if they have any interest. And perhaps Maverick, as I know they have a group space as well. Branching out into the East Valley could be a possibility as well to hit up Peixoto and maybe Crepe Bar, although I haven't been to either.

The only real inconvenience is that most of these are pretty spread out across the valley, I suppose the two most convenient would be Press Roastery and something in Tempe or Cartel downtown.

If there's just a few of us, I'm open to hosting at my house in central Phoenix as well. My kitchen is not the best for a ton of people but with a small group, we could get some equipment lined up and do some toying. Personally, I'd love the opportunity to try out a K-30, E37S, and HG-One...

This could go a lot of different ways, and I'm completely open to possibilities, and would just like to get the ball rolling.

< UPDATE to original post >
Arizona H-B meetup Saturday, December 12th.
1:30 lunch at Cornish Pasty in Old Town Scottsdale
3 pm at Cartel Coffee Lab in Old Town Scottsdale
Full details found on page 4, here: 12/12 Arizona H-B GTG
Versalab

Advertisement
Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Can do Tucson in Feb/Mar. Will be getting out of the cold.
-----
LMWDP #339

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by dumpshot »

I am in! I would offer to host, but my house is a zoo with two little kids running around. I mean, it is crazy around here. :shock:
It would be nice to get some various gear together. I have a Caravel, vintage Livietta and Pharos I can bring if there is interest. I also have Lidos 1 and 2 for show and tell. I am interested in seeing all and any gear that is out there! And drinking coffee!

I am also game for road tripping to Tucson to hook up with Dave (boldjava) after the new year.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

Boldjava wrote:Can do Tucson in Feb/Mar. Will be getting out of the cold.
Dave, will you be schlepping one of those cute little half-kilo roasters with you in February? :mrgreen:
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

I'm certainly up for a get together. Would be worth getting some idea of numbers before settling on a location (the Press roastery is indeed unglamorous, and while there's lots of parking thereabouts, too many people would tax their poor GS/3). Maybe somewhere with a 3 group would be good? Luxe would be perfect, but there's always a line there before they open, even at 7:30 am on Sunday mornings.
- John

LMWDP # 577

ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ilVecchio »

Absolutely, count me in! I'm the retired "patriarch" of the Chicago group, and I'd even consider hosting at our home in Saddlebrooke.

Timing for me would need to be in January or the last two weeks of February.

Hey Jim Schulman, this would be a good opportunity to escape the Chicago winter for a few days.

Joel Klein

gimpy

#7: Post by gimpy »

I'm up in Flagstaff. I "might" could make it to a meet. I will keep my eyes on this thread to see where it goes. :>)

Advertisement
GeneBean

#8: Post by GeneBean »

I'm in the white mountains and would really enjoy getting down to Phoenix or Tucson for a few days this winter. In fact winter is the only time I get down that far south. I'll keep watching to see how this unfolds. Great idea!

gophish (original poster)

#9: Post by gophish (original poster) »

This is great, thanks for all of the response so far. It sounds like maybe two get-togethers are in order, one in Tucson early 2016 and one in Phoenix in the next few weeks.

For the Phoenix GTG, please post if you're in, your availability, and if you have a location suggestion/preference. I'm thinking a Saturday early afternoon would work, maybe December 12? Based on the number, I will start to reach out to some locations and see if they would be so gracious as to host us for all or part, and depending on the response we can plan if we want to add a residential location as well.

For me, I'm throwing out 12/12 to kick this off, I can potentially host a smaller group (maybe 5 or so) without us stepping on each other over the machines, but have more room elsewhere to hang out before/after if a cafe can't host the entire time. I have my Technika IV and a Vario, and would love to be able to try and levers or other grinders. I'm located in central Phoenix (Arcadia area).

For next year, I'd also be happy to help plan a Tucson GTG, though I don't know the town nearly as well. Joel, it sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup! I have been to Stella Java, and they pull a pretty good shot and have a nice courtyard, but haven't been to Presta or Cartel down there. I believe they are also much closer geographically, so maybe a crawl would work too.
Versalab

michael

#10: Post by michael »

theres a very attractive large cartel coffee on n Campbell in Tucson 8)