Honolulu / Oahu - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
leon (original poster)

#11: Post by leon (original poster) »

That article is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks David.

Interesting to see that Morning Brew is now roasting their own beans and serving single brewed cups of coffee. Sounds like a big change from the tiny shop it was when I lived in Kailua many years ago. Looking forward to checking it out again!

roastaroma

#12: Post by roastaroma »

Aloha, Leon,

Yeah, location-wise that one's hard to beat. But if you're ever in downtown Honolulu, there's a little shop in the Fort St. Mall that does its own roasting, too: Downtown Coffee. Fortunately not all their local beans are ridiculously priced.

http://www.dtcoffee.com/
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

liquid aloha

#13: Post by liquid aloha »

Check out: http://greenworldcoffeefarm.com
They are located in Wahiawa. If you are driving to the North Shore through central Oahu you will pass this place on the way.
Coffee is fresh roasted on the premises 3 times a week. They feature Waialua Coffee and Kauai Coffee. It's pricey though. For some reason
they don't feature Kona Coffee. They sell a lot of coffee beans originating from South America though. Much is flavored which seems to be geared for visiting tourists who stop by in hordes. But they offer some really good blends. 1/2 lb of coffee is less than $8.00. I'm up there several times a month. This week we're drinking their Paniolo Blend. Cheers

leon (original poster)

#14: Post by leon (original poster) »

Awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

This thread should now serve as a good reference for anyone else traveling to Oahu.

leon (original poster)

#15: Post by leon (original poster) »

I dropped by The Curb on Waialae Ave today. Definitely a recommended spot. It's very small with limited seating and not much ambiance. But that was more than made up for by the very good quality brewed coffee/espresso and the exceptionally friendly/generous barista and family atmosphere.

They had Four Barrel, Intelligentsia, and Olympia coffees on offer. They also had an unusal espresso machine, the likes of which I had never seen before, something called Modbar.

isaliveart

#16: Post by isaliveart »

I'll chime in-a little late, but WTH. I just returned from Oahu. The Curb on Waiiae Ave (Sp?) has a Mod bar, has cold brew "nitro" on tap, does pourovers. Unfortunately this shop and the Manoa shop only rotate Black Cat and Olympia "Big Truck"-(which I liked). Both shops do a good job, weigh their shots, dial in carefully. But coffee selection is limited.

Brue bar (3 shops- all have Slayer's-best shots from Merchant St shop. IMHO) The other two have SteamPunk machines-which are a programmed siphon/french press/aeopress masterpiece.I had one blend called "Katarina" which was mind blowing. The Brue espresso is a custom blend which is stock. They don't experiment with SO's and really utilitize the range and capability of the Slayer. None the less, the Slayer shots were on another planet compared to what I'm used to. I could have moved right in

Honolulu Coffee Company sucks-at least in Ala Moana (the barista admitted his grinder was broken and machine had problems -he replaced my shot with the jugged drip which was OK only. However, he did try to pass off a dump shot without saying anything)

You can definitely get well caffeinated on Oahu.

Laurence