Nossa Familia Coffee, Portland

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

One night while exploring our new community I saw an intriguing sign in the Pearl District, Portland's upscale downtown area.

This weekend we found it open and I was very pleasantly surprised to find a coffee company run by a Brazilian family that sources some of its coffees from its own farms. I found Zack and Scott at the bar. They welcomed my curiosity and comped me to some tastes, including a Rwanda* and an Italian roast.* Here's Zack welcoming some walk-in customers. There was a steady flow of business at 4:00 p.m.

Scott was in back getting me a fresh bag of this family sourced coffee that won 5th place in this year's COE.

The bag gives the particulars. I pulled it this morning four days post roast on the Prestina at about 206 F and was rewarded with a balanced, very clean cup full of wonderful flavors, starting with stone fruit that morphed to a hint of ripe citrus, then a strong wave of raspberries followed by Swiss Miss cocoa turning to semi-sweet dark chocolate. Overall this coffee has a pleasant sweet and sour balance and medium body.

Zack told me they'd recently had a throw down of about 30 baristas and that competition will soon be covered in Roast Magazine. They have a sign-up for free weekly cuppings -- I'll attend once I've finished unpacking our new home.

For more information about Nossa Familia, here's their website:

http://www.familyroast.com/

* I would like to compare the Rwanda again to the Brazilian COE, although the latter is pretty special. The Italian roast seemed thin bodied in my initial tasting, but I've had good luck brewing dark roasts cool and updosed for more sweetness and body.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Nice write-up.

Nossa Familia is one of the coffees that Red Berry Coffee Bar in Los Altos caries and I've really enjoyed their Full Cycle espresso blend in the shop and at home on my levers. You're lucky to be so close.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

GeoffPDX

#3: Post by GeoffPDX »

I'm so happy you swung by, Gary! I've been meaning to indirectly nudge you toward our little cafe to get your impressions since I read that you moved to PDX. The Rwandan and COE are currently battling it out for the "staff favorite" title, so definitely come back in to check it out (and if you want to write it up, I'd be happy to throw you a sample). Hope to meet you next time you're in.

Yakster, have you had a chance to have Jeff pull you a shot of the Rwandan down there?

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

Gary, I'm glad you checked these guys out. Geoff invited me in a few months ago to share a few thoughts. I've promised him a short write-up on here (I hope I didn't promise a timeline! haha), but haven't been able to get around to it. Overall, though, it is a great shop, very friendly people, awesome roasting (a la Loring)... When I do get around to that write-up, I'll add it on here!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to jonny »

@ jonny: You'll have to meet me down there to get to know them better.

@ Goeff: We'll take you up on it!

@ Augusto: Thank you for your warm welcome and for such a fine effort you're making with your family business.
Gary
LMWDP#308

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I haven't had a chance to try the Rwanda yet... I don't get by Red Berry as often as I'd like as it's a bit out of the way, but I'm happy that they're a block or two away from one of my customer's locations which makes a perfect excuse to drop in every time I have to go out onsite to work in Los Altos.

Next time I get up there, I'll see if Jeff has any of your Rwanda available.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

BuckleyT

#7: Post by BuckleyT »

drgary wrote:One night while exploring our new community I saw an intriguing sign in the Pearl District, Portland's upscale downtown area.
Gary, thank you very much for that high value intel. I will be in Portland in 2 weeks and it is a must stop (along with the Japanese Garden. Have you seen it? Nothing in California compares to it).
Buckley

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thank you, Buckley. The Japanese Garden is now on our must-see list!
Gary
LMWDP#308

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

The more powerhouse Brazilian coffees the better! Early and Late Harvest top scoring coffees both breaking 92 points; I hope it continues and expands.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/