The next Chicago/Milwaukee Summer BBQ

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Prairiedawg

#1: Post by Prairiedawg »

I am offering to host the next Chicago/Milwaukee get together at my home in Pleasant Prairie, Wi. This is 2 minutes north of the Illinois border and 5 minutes east of I94. I was thinking more of a barbecue to keep with the summer. I have a Profitec 700 and a Monolith to play with and plenty of counter space and power (120v) to use if someone were interested in bringing another machine/grinder whatever.
I set up a scheduling app called doodle. This basically takes a poll for a date of all interested parties and helps select the best date for the most people involved,( I think- haven't tried it yet). I was thinking the last Saturday in June, first couple or third Saturday in July. you pick the best date for you and on the link and we'll go from there. Hoping for a good attendance.
Heres the link for the date https://doodle.com/poll/r47sf2wie5c7een2
Cheers, John
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Thanks for doing this. I posted my open dates using my HB handle rather than my actual name. I'm guessing that might be easier for everyone.
Jim Schulman

mdmvrockford

#3: Post by mdmvrockford »

Also, thanks for doing this! I will follow Jim's lead and use my home-barista.com screen name for the doodle survey.

I look forward to meeting everyone again (my attendance is contingent on my call schedule that has yet to be released?!).

Assuming it falls on a date I can attend, then John I can bring my 1990 Cremina with "homo-barista"'s pressure piston gauge (aka naked-portafilter.com) along with its naked portafilter. Also, I will try to bring my native Thailand Doi Pangkhon if I can find it roasted (I do not home roast). Since I do not cook, I will compensate with more ethanol. I'll try to find a decent wine to match food served; one bottle as a gift to you and your wife and one bottle for sharing (if desired). I'll also bring other ethanol too :)
LMWDP #568

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Out of curiosity John, when are you looking to pick the date by?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Prairiedawg (original poster)

#5: Post by Prairiedawg (original poster) »

Hopefully get a date picked by a couple weeks. I was hoping for the 24th but that won't work for Barb. Much later than that and the weather gets hot. There's more room if I can utilize the patio. Looks like July 1st is the next best date which is fine with me. I'm not sure if thats the best date being so close to the 4th, most people already have plans for a long weekend around then. I'm open to all those dates which is surprising to me because my summer weekends are usually booked out far in advance. The short answer to your question is a couple of weeks before the date would be helpful.

Sideshow

#6: Post by Sideshow »

radical, just voted

#7: Post by Prairiedawg (original poster) »

Looks like this might be a small event. There doesn't appear to be much interest. Based on the amount of feed back from the last event I thought this would be a hit. Maybe this isn't a good time? :?:

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

I didn't vote because all dates are open for me. Perhaps there are others that are simply waiting to see what dates come up on top?
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

I've done a lot of these, and even I go anxious-nuts if I don't get a good head count. Please vote even if all your days are open (it lets yo do that), so that John gets a count of how many will show.
Jim Schulman

#10: Post by Prairiedawg (original poster) »

dominico wrote:I didn't vote because all dates are open for me. Perhaps there are others that are simply waiting to see what dates come up on top?
Yes, possibly. And small is fine but the more the merrier. I was also planning on smoking a pork shoulder. Its very good and I'm quite fond of it Carolina style. If anyone has any prohibitions on pork please let me know and I can accommodate you as well.