New to Seattle! What do I need to know?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
zfeldman

#1: Post by zfeldman »

I just moved to Seattle from Denver and wondering about which roasters I should check out and about the water.

I'm using an Astra Pro (HX machine) with an older Italian grinder (La San Marco). I hadn't used any water treatment in Denver, but wondering if it is an immediate requirement here. I drink mostly Americanos (hot and iced) and make lattes for my wife, though I sometimes drink a short latte (cortado?).

I bounced around a little in Denver, but mostly used Novo Coffee (usually the Espresso Novo). I liked the Hartmann Honey from Novo, but it was a little harder to brew and I also went through some Klatch coffee. I'm currently living near Magnuson Park, though will be working at Seattle University starting in September. I'd like to find something close to one or the other of those locations. I like Stumptown, but as a daily drinker the price is a bit steep.

I'm currently drinking the house espresso from the closest coffee shop to me (they are serving Caffe Del Sol from Caffe Vita). They are selling it at $15 a lb, so not a bad price. It seems a little boring compared to some of the Novo blends, but I've probably not dialed it in yet.

grog

#2: Post by grog »

You will be very close to Stumptown at Seattle U. I love Victrola in Cap Hill. Other solid local roasters are Kuma and Elm Street.
LMWDP #514

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Tougo on 18th and Union and Neptune in Greenlake offer variety of great roasters including my favorite Seattle area roaster, Velton's of Everett.

I think both of those locations sometimes feature beans roasted in Colorado as well, eg Sweet Bloom.
LMWDP #198

keno

#4: Post by keno »

You could take a trip to the Starbucks Roastery for the experience (not the coffee) when you go to Victrola (for the coffee) since they are about a block apart.