New san francisco cafe with lever machine

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by cafebmw »

finally! iron & steam espresso bar has opened in the heart of san francisco!
we are located on 1423 polk street (between california and pine).
the machine is a 1954 Gaggia esportazione. the beans come from Chromatic Coffee in San Jose.

please come by and see us. we are open tue-fri 8:30 -3:30; sat 9-3:30; sun 10-3:30
check out facebook (iron & steam espresso bar) and/or twitter (ironandsteamSF) for news, updates, etc.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Hey Oliver:

I think I'll drop in tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you and your new shop -- and will you just look at that Gaggia! :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
cafebmw (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by cafebmw (original poster) »

solid, gary! i will see you there!

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Janet and I dropped by Iron and Steam this afternoon and found Oliver, Heather (his barista) and his stunning Gaggia machine serving lovely espresso. Here's Oliver in front of his incredible museum piece. I had a chance to pull a shot and the feel of it is smooooth. What an amazing piece of machinery. I've never seen one of these golden era machines in operation, and it is so impressive. Oliver's done a masterful restoration job.

Oliver's wife owns the Iron and Steam bar that opens in the evening. She wasn't there during our visit. It's spacious and steampunk.

Espresso is served through a window that almost hides his treasure.

Almost.

Here are some details.

Oliver has added colored lighting to make his Esportazione even more beautiful. The grinder at the left is the Mazzer Robur he restored and polished.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

redpig

#5: Post by redpig »

Thanks for the pictures and commentary! I can't wait to swing by when I'm in SF next!
LMWDP #411

the_trystero

#6: Post by the_trystero »

redpig wrote:Thanks for the pictures and commentary! I can't wait to swing by when I'm in SF next!
+1.

I am definitely stopping by for coffee and bar next I'm in SF.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

Greg, it's breathtaking in person. He nickel plated it instead of chrome, so it has the slightest warm glow to it, instead of the colder, bluer chrome. Oliver knows these machines like the back of his hand.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/