New Costco has upgraded their coffee act

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I was trying out the new Costco in Flemington NJ and did a double take when I walked past a Mahlkonig VTA 6 instead of the typical Bunn G3.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

They've had those at mine for over a year. I asked about them at the Mahlkonig booth at SCAA last year and was told they are special for Costco and contain solid carbide burrs with an expected life of 150,000 pounds or something like that.

Ira

uncola

#3: Post by uncola »

Yup my costco just got a trio of these. Definitely a step up from the old ones

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I admire the ones that roast on site. I have never seen one near me, but apparently it's not too uncommon. My brother's local Costco in Austin, Texas does. I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if in a few years, they get on the specialty coffee wagon and start offering lighter roasts promoting regional coffees.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Javier

#5: Post by Javier »

I believe the Costcos of Northern Virginia and SW Florida have had those exact same grinders for a long while now.

Way over a decade ago, I used to buy freshly roasted beans from the Costco of "Pentagon City" (Arlington, VA). At that time, their beans were roasted in situ by an Italian gentleman, and those beans were amazing (and cheap)!!
LMWDP #115