Montreal Cafes and Coffee Shops

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
phillip canuck

#1: Post by phillip canuck »

I'm in Montreal for a couple of weeks, so of course I've been consulting HB for cafe recommendations. Many (all?) the threads are closed - time for another. I'm not so savvy a critic to give much more than a worth checking out rating, but we'll see what happens.

The current shop I'm in is L'Artiste Affame

It's worth noting how I came to be here. I had just left the Emery street location of Cafe St.Henri looking for their lever machine as mentioned in this post ( Is there any cafe that uses a lever espresso machine in Montreal? ). They no longer have a lever there, and the barista tells me they don't at any of their other two locations. Regardless, walking along Saint Denis looking for my second cafe visit (Le Couteau) I noticed this sign painted on a wall two steps down from the sidewalk. How could I not visit? The owner is passionate and knows his coffee, so I recommend a visit. Oh, and there is a laundry in here as well in case you have clothes that need washing.

Hopping back to the Emery location of Cafe St.Henri - it's fine, and I would give them a second try, but there are many other locations to try, first.

Off to try Le Couteau

phillip canuck (original poster)

#2: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Just tried Le Couteau. I was pleasantly surprised when the barista asked me if I wanted my espresso short or long. Short for me, thanks. A second barista filled the order, which to me was a normale+. I was pleased when she tossed into the sink - I was thinking she realized it wasn't short. She then pulled another and the barista that took my order finished it - another normale+. Huh. Oh well. Too hot for my liking and nothing great (49th Parallel). Not that it was horrible, but I'd rather keep my $3 and have a shot at home. Of which, I have my travel gear with me: Lido 2 and Gaggia Achille. This is my first full day in Montreal and I haven't picked up beans, yet. I'll read the roaster threads next.

-phillip

Bunkmil

#3: Post by Bunkmil »

You should be able to get a good coffe at Dispatch Coffee.

It's been a while since I visited them but I've never been disapointed.

Please continue to share your experience.

trumz

#4: Post by trumz »

What happened to La Formule? Are they reopening somewhere?

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

Shoot, was just in Montreal a week ago.

#6: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Bunkmil wrote:You should be able to get a good coffe at Dispatch Coffee.

It's been a while since I visited them but I've never been disapointed.

Please continue to share your experience.
I took your advice and I am now at Dispatch. Things started off very well when I saw the barista weighing coffee in the portafilter - 17 grams in, 39 grams out. The espresso is too bright for me, but that's not a knock on the barista or cafe. Would I return? Yes, the oreo-like cookie alone is worth returning for. I'm too wet from the rain and hot from the temperature to sit indoors and chat coffee, but I'm sure the baristas are up for the conversation. Oh, and the outdoor seating area is great.

Thank you for your encouragement - it is appreciated.

-phillip

#7: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

For those of you that know Montreal, I'm staying in a condo near the corner of Ste-Catherine and Saint-Urbain and I'm walking to each of these cafes. I briefly considered taking Metro or one of those public bicycles (which I will pedal before leaving), but I have been rewarded for walking many times before, and today ranks as another great reason to take a leisurely walk and see what you find.

Strolling along St-Laurent, here is what greeted me when I happened upon a cafe that I was looking for...

Reminds me of my disassembled two-group President at home. You will notice the Aurora in the background (1986). That was not to be all though...

These photos were at Paolo's Cafes. As for the espresso - I had two and they were my favorites thus far. Both were ristretto without me asking; woody, heavy mouthfeel and very solid. As I keep stressing, this is my current taste, maybe not yours. Of course, for any lever aficionado - it's a must-see cafe.

I did ask if any of the machines for sale, but the barista spoke less English than my embarrassing French - so I wasn't able to ask any of the questions that I would have liked to. I did figure out that they are not for sale. Oh well.

My next stop was also by chance. I don't have the full name of it, and I wasn't able to figure it out from Google, but part of the name is Cafe Pour Emporter (something something). The espresso was fine, but it's a cafe worth mentioning because it is set-up excellently for work with a laptop - a lot of table/bar space and each seat was an electrical outlet. As for finding it, it's just a few doors down from Paolo's. Easy to know once you are there - you can't miss the heavy use of OSB (strand board).

Off next to Cafe Prague.

-phillip

#8: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Just came from Cafe Prague and I'm still bouncy from my 5th and 6th espressos for today. That's enough. I like Cafe Prague a lot, and not only becuase of their lever machine. This isn't a place for 3rd wave coffee or to chat about coffee at length with the barista - but it is a great place for pastries, a solidly built ristretto made from imported Italian beans on a 1965 Brugnetti lever and a good menu of food (that I will explore on a second visit).

My last visit of the day was to my favorite bagel shop: St.Viateur Bagel . Montreal style bagels are by far and away my favorite style of bagels (much preferred over NY style). Buying and eating hot bagels fresh out of the wood fired oven, what could be better?

#9: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

Another day, another cafe - this time Pikolo Espresso Bar. The short story is that my espresso was far too hot, and bright enough that I should have been wearing shades. That said, my wife (and I a bit) had their 3oz Pikolo latte (with art!) and that same lip curdling hot lemonade worked exceptionally well as a 3 oz latte. Had I been on my game I suppose I shoud have tried a regular sized latte for comparison. Also of note is that they do not have WiFi - which is often times nice not to have.

-phillip

mfogliet

#10: Post by mfogliet »

Check out the newest Cafe Myriade in the basement of Club Monaco on Ste Catherine. I was visiting a few weeks ago during a slow period and let behind the counter.