List of multiroaster coffee joints - Page 5

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#41: Post by drgary »

Update on Grind Coffee Bar, Now in San Carlos, CA

Earlier I posted on discovering that the Grind Coffee Bar has moved from Redwood City one town north to San Carlos. I dropped in last week and was pleased to find myself in familiar company, drinking a first-rate espresso shot dialed in by their very skilled barista, Zack. They're now located across the street from the San Carlos train station at the Station Cafe, which serves simple Italian food. When you walk inside you find a small but first rate coffee bar. This shows their espresso and pourover setup. Their espresso machine is La Marzocco and they serve it with a Mazzer Robur. The shots here have always been dialed in.

This is the staff behind the counter. I don't know the gentleman at the left but he was in the previous place. Holly is next to him and Zack is to the right. Samish, the owner, later came up and introduced himself and isn't in the photo.

Here's their menu, which shows their many good coffee selections, including fresh beans for sale.

Their new address is:

601 Old County Rd
San Carlos, CA 94070
Phone: (650) 802-0121
Hours:
Mon-Fri 6 am - 2 pm
Sat-Sun 7 am - 2 pm
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
the_trystero

#42: Post by the_trystero »

Nice reports on Grind and Verve, thanks!
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

Chert (original poster)

#43: Post by Chert (original poster) »

This weekend I stopped in at tougo coffee co on 18th just north of Union. Link is on the OP.

That is a fine neighborhood coffee shop with a Linea paddle group machine. One can choose coffee by the bag from Ritual or Velton's or Stumptown or Handsome or Wrecking Ball or Kuma Coffee. I enjoyed a well-pulled shot of Mexico Nayarit from Velton's and then a Clever of Handsome's El Salvador Tanzania for the road. I was pleased to chat with the friendly proprietor and some of the staff about coffee a wee bit and a surprise was to meet the owner of Oslo coffee of Brooklyn, who had brought coffee of Honduras for the patrons of tougo.
LMWDP #198

yakster
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by yakster »

I'd heard that Element Coffee in Camarillo, CA was a good place to stop for coffee so I did just that on a recent road trip.

On the way down South, I stopped for a V60 of a Gakui Peaberry Kenya and a shot of Black Cat, both were great with the Black Cat having a chocolate cherry flavor. They're open late (until 10 PM) and make a great place to stop for coffee if your on your way through. I had a very pleasant conversation with the owner, Mike Colston before hitting the road.

I'd had more coffee and less time on the way back, but I did stop by and have a V60 of a nice Panama Elida Natural.

They have Verve and Intelligentsia and Mike mentioned the possibility of getting Handsome Coffee Roasters as well. I plan on making this a regular stop for road trips South.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jbviau
Supporter ★

#45: Post by jbviau »

Spro in Baltimore should definitely be on this list!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Chert (original poster)

#46: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Duly added, jbviau. Check what Spro or is it Spro Hampden says: " Spro Hampden is unique in the industry. It was the very first coffee place in the world to offer a variety of coffees from multiple coffee roasters and offer those coffees in multiple brew methods: vacuum pot, pour over, chemex, eva solo, aeropress, french press, clever and our cold brew drip tower."

Truly? That's pretty cool to be the first to do this.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#47: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Added Broadacre in Sacramento. Take a look at that list of roasters. Hardly any need to have coffee shipped if you live near them.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
the_trystero

#48: Post by the_trystero »

Oh, I finally remembered to post this: demitasse is no longer multi-roaster.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

drgary
Team HB

#49: Post by drgary »

Grind has been struggling a bit because this location doesn't have the walk-in traffic they had in the previous one. The last two times I've been there they offered coffee out of the bins but not pre-bagged, and the selection had been reduced. They were pulling Klatch World's Best the last time I was there and said they have an order in with Verve.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rlevine

#50: Post by rlevine »

Turnstile Coffee in Belmar, NJ. Last I was there, they were serving Stumptown espresso, Counter Culture on the bar, and his own roasts as well.

-Randy