List of multiroaster coffee joints - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
jmilliron

#21: Post by jmilliron »

drgary wrote:Last week I wanted to treat a colleague to a wonderful coffee experience, so we headed for the Grind Coffee Bar on El Camino Real and Jefferson in Redwood City and discovered they'd just moved that day to the Station Cafe in San Carlos.
Hey Redwood City buddy. Used to walk from my house to Grind for my beans and occasionally a drink. First place I had a really good espresso. Bummed about them moving.

Marshall

#22: Post by Marshall »

Paper or Plastik in L.A.: http://www.paperorplastikcafe.com (serving Intelligentsia and Handsome when I was in on Saturday).
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
Philg
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Philg »

Joe Pro in NYC.

rideold

#24: Post by rideold »

Wow, just stumbled across this thread. The more I read it the more I'm mystified as to why we only have one (that I know of) multi-roaster cafe in Boulder. Amante Coffee has a roatating 4th grinder selection. Not a huge fan of their coffee though and I don't think they are really doing their rotating "guest" coffee any favors. Be nice to see more of this around. Anyone in Denver have any places to add?

shadowfax

#25: Post by shadowfax »

Chert wrote:Thanks for that. I was hoping to hear about the scene in Texas for this list. I looked at Greenway and Catalina in Houston on line but could not tell if the one exists and whether the other still rotates roasters.

Shadowfax?
There's really no one else I know of quite like Houndstooth in Texas. There are a number of cafes in Houston that frequently carry guest coffees, but you have to follow them on Twitter (or visit often) to find out about it. All the cafes I know of in Houston are single-roaster focused.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Marshall

#26: Post by Marshall »

rideold wrote:The more I read it the more I'm mystified as to why we only have one (that I know of) multi-roaster cafe in Boulder.
It should be understood that multi-roaster or rotating roaster retail formats are not real popular with roasters. Shops demand a lot of attention from their roasters, who provide training, advice and last-minute emergency deliveries on request. Some provide grinders and brewing equipment as well.

All that becomes much less appealing to the roaster, when the shop's orders are split among several vendors.
Marshall
Los Angeles

the_trystero

#27: Post by the_trystero replying to Marshall »

Fair enough, but there are more and more cafes being run by folks who don't need training or advice. And I've seen a cafe get screwed by their primary roaster with their regular delivery, if it wasn't for their secondary roasters they would have had to stick with tea for a couple of days.

For me as a consumer, I will occasionally visit a single-roaster cafe but will heavily frequent a multi-roaster cafe for the variety.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

Advertisement
mariobarba

#28: Post by mariobarba »

Caffe in gamba, Montreal. Huge selection of US 3rd wave coffees for sale.

Chert (original poster)

#29: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:It should be understood that multi-roaster or rotating roaster retail formats are not real popular with roasters. Shops demand a lot of attention from their roasters, who provide training, advice and last-minute emergency deliveries on request. Some provide grinders and brewing equipment as well.

All that becomes much less appealing to the roaster, when the shop's orders are split among several vendors.
I don't know the price structures of roasters that market nationally. They may cut a break to cafés that only serve theirs and make up some difference on the wares and equipment and of course volume. And they may charge a premium wholesale price to others who want their coffee without exclusivity. Or they may realize how the multiroaster cafes provide status to their coffees as something noteworthy.
Shops demand a lot of attention from their roasters, who provide training, advice and last-minute emergency deliveries on request.
As far as this goes, I thought it was the roasters who demand to give the attention in the interest of the coffee being well-represented. That is a good thing in many cases but the-trystero has a good point.
LMWDP #198

homeburrero
Team HB

#30: Post by homeburrero »

rideold wrote:Anyone in Denver have any places to add?
I believe the Denver Bicycle Cafe is somewhat of a multi-roaster shop, although primarily Pablo's for espresso. This from their Facebook page:
Denver Bicycle Cafe, FB page wrote:We're now serving Huckleberry Roasters' Blue Orchid Espresso, the latest iteration, along with Pablo's Coffee Espresso Blend. For coffee we're brewing Novo Coffee's Santa Monica (Columbia) roast and Pablo's Kenya roast.
Denver Bicycle Cafe is one stop where you can get a beer, a coffee, and have your bike repaired. Is on 17th Avenue.

BTW, Pablo's (on 6th Ave) is a roaster/cafe worth a visit. They have their usual espresso plus usually have another lighter brighter choice that I always enjoy. Plus they are installing a new Strada EP - the first in that area - had to jump through a few hoops to get it: http://www.pabloscoffee.com/content/la- ... s-espresso
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h