June 15 SF Peninsula Lever Fest with Abe Carmeli & Jim Schulman

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

If anyone needs directions, click on the website icon in my profile. It gives my phone number. Call or text.

At Abe and Jim's request I'll be hosting a lever fest at my home on Saturday, June 15, starting at 10:00 1:00 - 1:30 p.m.and ending at about 4:30. Jim and Abe need to arrive early so Jim can spend some time with us before leaving at 3:00 to catch a flight. We will sample fine coffees while comparing lever machines, discussing temperature control, restoration and mods. Space is limited at my modest home and back yard to 12 - 15 people, so if you want to attend please email me through the website linked to my profile. My H-B personal message box is likely to fill quickly.

Confirmed attendees (for head count) including honored guests and members of the H-B team:
- Abe Carmeli
- another_jim
- cafebmw
- Chang00
- DJR
- drgary
- dustin360
- Alon Halevy
- Linus from Back Yard Coffee
- LVX (via Skype)
- Rama Roberts (rama)
- rawman
- Jeff Remer
- Roger Barrett
- TomC
- Vito from Back Yard Coffee
- yakster

I can now accommodate U.S. 240V with an outlet installed in my kitchen. If you have a conversion plug from European to U.S. it may work here.

Levers attending:
- Arrarex Caravel Grey v. 1.1
- Newly restored Conti Prestina
- Elektra Microcasa a Levas with/without booster springs, Teflon gasket
- Lady Duchessa
- Millennium La Pavoni Europiccola with group thermometer and Teflon group to boiler gasket
- pre-Millennium La Pavoni Europiccola with group thermometer, manometer and Teflon group to boiler gasket
- Olympia Express Creminas '67 and 2002
- Zacconi Baby Lusso

Levers tentatively attending:
- Bezzera Strega
- La Peppina with PID

Other gear to be announced as it is volunteered:
- Orphan Espresso Pharos hand grinder, voodoodaddy modded
- Orphan Espresso LIDO hand grinder
- HG One hand grinder
- Mazzer Super Jolly grinder
- Clever dripper
- AeroPress
- vac pot

Potluck to welcome Abe and Jim:
(Let me know what you can bring. Some finger food like kebab and satay would be welcome in addition to biscotti, bread, dessert.)
- Coffee, please: bring your favorite espresso at peak and special coffees prepared with other brew methods and your brewers
- Cool non-coffee drinks for June (no heavy drinking please -- my request so things don't get out of hand)
- Jim and Abe will bring Napa Valley wine of their choice. They'll be driving in from Healdsburg.
- Chris (yakster) will bring fruit salad
- Oliver (cafebmw) will bring croissants and maybe something to put on those
- Dan (DJR) and Jeff Remer: smoked tritip
- Gary: chicken and beef satay (after leaving restaurant realized these are 2 appetizer portions) :?
- Rama: goat cheese and crackers, 2 liters of home made ginger ale
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#2: Post by Abe Carmeli »

Thank you Gary for hosting and organizing this fine assembly of men & machines. I look forward to the meet. To make sure we don't fly too high, Jim & I will bring a couple of bottles from Napa as our admission fees.
Abe Carmeli

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Sounds like it's going to be a blast. I just got my schedule and saw that I'm working that day, but I have plenty of time to trade it away, so it shouldn't be a problem.

You can count me in for the HG-One and if I don't end up bringing the Strega, I'll definitely bring the Cremina, if it's needed.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Strega! Strega! Strega! :lol:

Tom, if you bring the Strega (pretty please), we can have someone who knows the Strega like no one else

compare it to the very unusual machine I've got because of this guy:

so this was my New Year's Eve, 2012:

I would love to give Jim the opportunity to compare these machines for us!
Gary
LMWDP#308

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

Will be there in spirit. Take lots of photos.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Now that is a road show!
LMWDP #198

rama

#7: Post by rama »

I've got a Clever, Aeropress, and Bodum Santos vac pot if there's any interest in extending this to brew. It would be interesting to compare against other pour over cones like the V60, Wave, and Bonavita Immersion.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) »

It'll be nice to finally meet you, no matter what you bring. Why not bring the vac pot and if there's interest we can fit it in. I already have an AeroPress and Clever.
Gary
LMWDP#308

rawman

#9: Post by rawman »

Thanks for the invite! Looking forward to it.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Update

Jim asked if he and Abe can arrive at noon 10:00 a.m., so we'll move our start time forward to then. Feel free to arrive starting at 11:15 a.m. so we can have our gear set up.
Gary
LMWDP#308