How many cafes are getting bored with espresso? - Page 4

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#31: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Yes, and on some points I agree with him ( like I already wrote). I was just pointing out that this issue is separate on two points:

1) it has nothing to do with being a coffee hispter

and

2) it's independant of wages.

It's about the veil being lifted and finding the big scary man in the ball of flames isn't nearly as powerful and wonderful as we first thought. I'm more of a mind to all-out ignore an espresso machine at a cafe now and just stick with filter brewed choices. And I think more and more people are finding the same little man hiding behind the curtain as I am.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

the_trystero

#32: Post by the_trystero »

TomC wrote: It's about the veil being lifted and finding the big scary man in the ball of flames isn't nearly as powerful and wonderful as we first thought. I'm more of a mind to all-out ignore an espresso machine at a cafe now and just stick with filter brewed choices. And I think more and more people are finding the same little man hiding behind the curtain as I am.
And Mark Prince keeps writing that brewed coffee is just a fad and everyone will return to espresso. The reality will be somewhere between these two points of view, probably right in the middle. hahah
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

Boldjava

#33: Post by Boldjava »

the_trystero wrote:And Mark Prince keeps writing that brewed coffee is just a fad and everyone will return to espresso....
Prince writes? I believe he gave that up about a 1.5 years ago when he went Twitterland...
-----
LMWDP #339

the_trystero

#34: Post by the_trystero replying to Boldjava »

He writes a little more on Google +. :wink:
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

another_jim
Team HB

#35: Post by another_jim »

m03ppp wrote:Perhaps I'm wrong but afaik there is no research on that subject (or do you know any?) and he is not alone, both James Hoffmann and Scott Rao have expressed similar thoughs.

http://www.jimseven.com/2011/02/08/cont ... profiling/
http://www.jimseven.com/2013/08/21/alri ... k43s-then/
Scott Rao Espresso Extraction: Measurement and Mastery

Edit: Added another link.
Not peer reviewed.

None of these people are actually lab testing their grinders. Fines are mostly bound to the coarse particles and only release when put into liquid or blasted in air jets. Getting a "fines free" sieving grind means very little, since even the shaker table sieves only shake loose the dust, not the bound fines. There are a half dozen articles by Petracchi that describe this, and the results are summarized in the Illy book, and probably on the new site.

Sieves are useful for determining the mean size of the coarse particles (Using the sieve for the 50% point for your particular grind setting). They are marginally useful for getting a more accurate distribution of coarse particles (use a shaking table and a gradated set of sieves). They do not work at all for estimating fines.

So let me repeat the actual laboratory sciene for the umpteenth time:
  • Espresso is defined by the fact that the puck regulates the flow, and that both the extraction and the flow rate are determined by the particle distribution.
  • Fines amount to less than 0.25 percent pf the weight of the ground coffee. No matter how they extract, they have no noticeable effect on taste. The people who have "tested" this have done so knowing what they are drinking, and are hallucinating to taste whatever the currently fashionable group-think wants
  • The flow of espresso depends very sensitively on how the fines interlock with the coarse particles to cement the puck into a resistive medium. This is so dependent on particles shapes and other minutia that even the best lab equipment is stymied with characterizing it precisely (apparently this is nothing unusual when it comes to material aggreggates). However, it is easy to see that large conicals do better in producing flow consistency than most other grinders
  • A second aspect of extraction is the uniformity of the coarse particle sizes. In this, large flat burrs measure up better than other grinders. In our testing during the TGP, the added flow consistency of large conicals outweighed the added extraction uniformity of larger flats; but this is a result that could easily change with new designs
  • It may be that very large brewing grinders, when set up for espresso, have fines that pack consistently enough so that their added coarse particle uniformity shows up. But it is b*llsh*t to claim that they make better espresso because they produce no fines, since a no fines grind cannot block the flow in an ordinary espresso basket.
I will add that there is now a group of about ten or so well known coffee people, mostly trying to make a living as consultants and salesmen of overpriced accessories, who are fabricating a growing amount of nonsense about espresso and coffee. I hope that they are merely disgracing themselves and conning a few people out of a few bucks; and that it doesn't get tot the point where people actually spoil the coffee they make.
Jim Schulman

another_jim
Team HB

#36: Post by another_jim »

happycat wrote:Maybe time to reread Thomas Kuhn?
How could I have missed it? All these years I though you need the cement of fines to seal the coarse particles. I never suspected that coarse coffee particles had a zone of rubbery, self-sealing space/time around them that was modulated by the grinder's burr design. Clearly, fines are just as much of a myth as ether.
Jim Schulman

pShoe

#37: Post by pShoe »

What can be done to get them excited about espresso again?

Marshall

#38: Post by Marshall replying to pShoe »

Nothing. They never stopped being excited about it, even while they explore other things.

People are painting with very broad brushes in this thread, based on limited encounters. I attend Barista Nation and Barista Guild events and see hundreds of enthusiastic young baristas, some traveling a thousand miles at their own expense for the experience.

Are baristas (and shop owners) broadening their horizons? Yes. Pourover came on strong three years ago. Now they want to learn more about tea. I don't think it's a coincidence that our SCAA Staff Party will be at a tea house this year (owned by a coffee roaster).

People who have been around coffee a while tend to have a broad appreciation for beverages, and this usually includes tea, wine and beer. It doesn't mean they have lost interest in espresso.
Marshall
Los Angeles

damonbowe

#39: Post by damonbowe »

This entire thing is based on a couple of baristas attitudes about espresso and tea? Seems like a bit of an overreaction. Unfortunately, working in a coffeeshop does not convey caring about your job. In my experience, the only baristas who care are the ones who have valuable input, into drinks (drink of the month) or quality (going to barista competitions) or investment in the customers (friends).

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#40: Post by TomC (original poster) »

My last post was rather nihilistic,but wasn't meant to infer that the entire industry has lost its passion. I just find it odd that with high end fancy gear, it's still so hard to get a halfway decent espresso, and I think more places are realizing that.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/