Help diagnose my grinder? SF/Bay Area local

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
fourdot00

#1: Post by fourdot00 »

About a year ago I picked up a used Mazzer Major on Ebay for a really low price. It was clearly heavily used, but I cleaned it up, got new burrs, and installed a doserless funnel. Unfortunately It's always made this terrible noise which I document in this forum post. There was a lot of discussion about what the issue could be, but ultimately I don't think there is an easy fix.

I've lived with the grinder (and the noise) for the last twelve months and feel like I have always struggled to get consistent shot timing/characteristic. One shot will be fine (no channeling, on target for timing), but the next shot will be a mess (identical dose/grind/conditioning). I've found the issues to be exacerbated with lighter roast coffee.

I'm to the point where I am considering getting a new grinder, but I would like to be able to confirm that my grinder is at the root of the problem. I don't know anyone else personally that is "into espresso", so I was wondering if someone from the forum (local to the SF/Bay Area) with a known to be functional grinder would be willing to help me out by lending me a grinder or taking mine and testing it out. I am located in SF proper.

Whether you take my grinder to test on your setup, loan me one of yours, or meetup at your/my place just for an hour or so, I would greatly appreciate it! I can be flexible for the sake of coffee, thanks!