Have a cup of robusta

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

Jean Min, former manager of LaMill Cafe in Silver Lake, has opened a new shop in the heart of Hollywood at Sunset & Gower she calls Rubies + Diamonds.

It's very pretty, reminiscent of LaMill in its chandeliers. But, what really caught my eye yesterday was a straight-up cup of specialty robusta on the menu board for $3. I've had robusta before, of course. First in instant and canned coffee in my youth. Later in Italian espresso blends. But never as a 100% drip-brewed cup of coffee.

CQI has started certifying robustas as specialty "Q Coffees" and is certifying "Q Robusta Graders" to do the cupping. So, here was my chance to finally sample a full cup of "the good robusta." I really felt my coffee education would be lacking, if I didn't try it, so I ordered a cup.

Well, it didn't kill me, but I wouldn't order it again. It did not smell like what I think of as coffee. It was earthy and woody, not really unpleasant, just very different. The taste was true to the aroma and was surprisingly un-bitter. I drank it black without puckering. But, there was nothing delicious about it. Just a mouthful of earthy flavors, with less body than I expected. I washed it down with a nice Tanzanian brewed on a Bikon.

I would encourage anyone in L.A. to broaden your experience by having a cup. Free valet parking in the garage behind the shop (with validation) is available. http://www.rubiesanddiamonds.com/
Marshall
Los Angeles

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Marshall wrote:...

CQI has started certifying robustas as specialty "Q Coffees" and is certifying "Q Robusta Graders" to do the cupping. So, here was my chance to finally sample a full cup of "the good robusta." I really felt my coffee education would be lacking, if I didn't try it, so I ordered a cup.

Well, it didn't kill me, but I wouldn't order it again....
Years ago, I distributed some Q-graded robusta from India via Crop to Cup. Sethuraman Estates in India. It was graded out at an 84. http://kaapiroyalecoffee.com/2013/07/23 ... tificates/

I used a touch in some espresso roasts. The majority of it, I drank as press pot. No delicacy to it, no fruits, no florals. Just "bamm", and as Marshall said, earthy. No softness to the cup. It did not have that "rubber" smell that inexpensive robustas did but you could tell it was from the same species. I bathed it with some warmed half and half. It was better that way and quite drinkable. I didn't care for it as it delivers too high a caffeine content. One cup a day with it and I was finished.

Great experience but that was the last time I distributed it.
-----
LMWDP #339