Friday mornings at Counter Culture Coffee in Durham, NC - Page 10

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
HB (original poster)
Admin

#91: Post by HB (original poster) »

JavaBuzz wrote:Great! Location is Counter Culture HQ and start time is 7:30AM, correct? I noticed that sometimes the meeting is at New World Coffee House, so thought I should verify.
They're roasting tomorrow, so the front door will be open, but I wouldn't expect anyone in the training center until closer to 8AM. The espresso lab is not formally staffed for the Friday morning get-together; if I arrive there before 8AM, I'm usually the first person and turn on the lights. The cupping at 10AM is led by Counter Culture Coffee employees, so its start time is firm(er).
Dan Kehn

JavaBuzz

#92: Post by JavaBuzz »

All right. We'll shoot for 9-ish then. Thanks a lot!

RonnyG

#93: Post by RonnyG »

I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for an awesome time this morning at Counter Culture. I was visiting family up in Fayetteville NC (I currently live in Savannah GA) and was attending a class on Thursday that Counter Culture puts on and after some talking and hanging out at the end of the class the crew at Counter Culture told me I should stop by in the morning (Friday) and hang out with the group that gets together with Dan. I was a little nervous and hesitant to say yes right away given that I am pretty new to what coffee really is and a bit of a novice across the board but I figured opportunities like this are few and far between for me and what better way to learn than from those who have such a wealth of knowledge and experience. I woke up at 5am Friday morning to be on the road by 6 to make it to the shop in time and I have to say it was well worth it. I was able to meet a lot of cool people who worked at Counter Culture who welcomed me right away as well as those who just love coffee and enjoy the Friday morning hang outs. Everyone was super welcoming and we had a good time pulling some awesome dry processed Rwanda shots out of one of the La Marzocco's the Counter Culture has in their lab. The conversations were easy and informative and I walked away with a lot of insight (thanks Dan and Jesse) on some questions that I had regarding future purchases on a grinder. I also gained some tricks and insight on improving consistency and quality of my espresso shots. It was cool just to hang out with like minded people who came from all different aspects of the coffee world and to be immersed in a room with so much depth, knowledge and experience. Even though I had never met anyone in that room prior to showing up, within minutes I felt I was friends with everyone. For those who have never made it to these morning get togethers that might be in or near the Raleigh/Durham area in NC I highly recommend stopping by at 730 and seeing what they have going on that Friday morning, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

Thanks again to everyone this morning and I hope to make back at some time in the future,

Ron

HB (original poster)
Admin

#94: Post by HB (original poster) »

It was great to met you Ron! I look forward to hearing where you land on your upgrade mission. For those who missed it, Friday featured Buziraguhindwa, a real berry-licious espresso served by Jesse Gordon.
Dan Kehn

RonnyG

#95: Post by RonnyG »

Hi Dan,

I just posted a new thread in the buying advice forum about my grinder purchase. Long story short I went with the Vario and I have been very impressed with it. I had no idea what I was missing out on in shot quality even with my little Gaggia.

Thanks again,

Ron

HB (original poster)
Admin

#96: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks Ron for your update in Finally Bit the Bullet and Bought Baratza Vario Grinder. Hope to see you again at Counter Culture Coffee. If you have questions about your espresso machine search, feel free to start a new thread. The Gaggia Classic is a solid entry-level performer, but the next step up is a big one.
Dan Kehn

Atredeis

#97: Post by Atredeis »

Hello all, long time lurker here.

Is this on for Friday? I'm in RTP on business this week with some downtime Friday morning and would love to check it our.

Thanks a ton!
-Paul

Edit: Nevermind, my trip was cancelled due to snow.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#98: Post by HB (original poster) »

Yes, but I won't be able to make it this week. Most people show around 8AM. Hope to meet you next time you're in town!
Dan Kehn

Atredeis

#99: Post by Atredeis »

I'm heading to Raleigh for the back half of next week. Hope to see you guys Friday morning!

Best
-Paul

JavaBuzz

#100: Post by JavaBuzz »

Are the Friday morning get-togethers at Counter Culture still happening?

If they are, I should be in Raleigh again this coming Friday (19), and I'm hoping to attend.