Favorites in San Diego/La Jolla?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Carsncoffee

#1: Post by Carsncoffee »

Our family is going on a quick holiday to San Diego/La Jolla next week. I would appreciate any tips on where to go for a good espresso.
Also if there are any good places for a quick day class (I am a newbie) to improve my technique.
cheers

LATrapp

#2: Post by LATrapp »

Bird Rock Coffee Roasters is my favorite spot in La Jolla. They also do have a classroom where they teach:

http://birdrockcoffee.com

MDL

#3: Post by MDL »

Yes, Bird Rock Coffee Roasters is one of my two favorites. The other is Zumbar Coffee on Roselle Street (across from the Sorrento Valley Coaster Stations). Zumbar is a tiny roaster and coffee shop that really cares about their coffee (as does Bird Rock).

Check out both and enjoy...

caldwa

#4: Post by caldwa »

If you're going to be in North San Diego area, I'd also recommend Lofty Coffee in Solana Beach and Encinitas and Ironsmith Coffee in Encinitas.

Central San Diego I'd recommend Coffee & Tea Collective in North Park, Caffe Calabria in North Park (more Italian-inspired than trendy 3wave roaster, but still enjoyable), and Dark Horse Coffee Roasters

Downtown San Diego I'd recommend Bean Bar near Petco Park (49th Parallel account) and The West Bean.

Of course Bird Rock is one of the best coffee sourcers/roasters so I'd make sure to go there if you can. Lofty is my personal favorite and has amazing cinnamon rolls on the weekends.

Carsncoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by Carsncoffee (original poster) »

All-
Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to the beach and some nice coffee.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

If you are flying in and out of San Diego, Bird Rock also has a new location near the airport. The cafe is in San Diego's "Little Italy" neighborhood, which also has some interesting dining options. Enjoy the trip!