Espresso in Austin? - Page 11

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
crusty cup

#101: Post by crusty cup »

Flitch coffee has opened in east Austin. Erica, formerly of Brew & Brew, is serving espresso-based drinks and cold brew out of her own customized trailer at 7th & Tillery. Seating is mostly outdoors. There's a lot of very tall trees; it feels something like being in a Maxfield Parrish painting. It's relaxed and magnificent, or perhaps it feels like work could just never find me there. I've heard tell the Henrys have already been by, and it seems she's doing a steady flow of business. She's currently serving Kickapoo out of Wisconsin.

CrabRangoon

#102: Post by CrabRangoon »

Can't believe how inactive this thread has been through 2015. The only thing I have to add is that Sister Coffee seems to have popped up within the last 6-8 months and seems to be staffed by 1 or 2 of the young ladies that were previously at Flat Track. I've still yet to stop by, but I recognize them in pictures I've seen my friends posting - and their chesty paper cups & mugs are a laugh :lol:
LMWDP #505

crusty cup

#103: Post by crusty cup »

Why hayle; I passed right by there just today on my way from Figure 8.

I've been drinking at home lately meself, plus with all the rain (and falling trees) I druther not stray off the front porch...

Radio has opened in south Austin; they have coffee and beer.

Eastsideloco

#104: Post by Eastsideloco »

My remote espresso routines are pretty predictable. If I'm up north-tax & medical appointment-I stop by Houndstooth on N. Lamar. When I'm dropping boxes at the post office with CoffeeBOS shipments, I stop in next door at Cuvee for a shot. And when I'm walking the dog in the neighborhood, I stop by Flattrack from time to time.

I did finally make it to 7th Flag on S. 1st this spring and enjoyed an espresso flight (shot, mineral water, and cascara tea):

Figure 8 is at the top of my list of shops to revisit. They recently added one of the veteran baristas from Houndstooth.

While I still haven't made it to Flitch, I love watching their Instagram feed. Looking forward to visiting in person. Will keep an eye out for Sister Coffee as well. Thanks for the tips.

CrabRangoon

#105: Post by CrabRangoon »

Dang, that just reminds me that I've always intended to try the flight there - it sounds and looks delicious! Every time I stop in, it's far too late for me to have espresso and I just grab a bag of beans and go. How about Patika? I recall someone, perhaps David, having a lackluster first shot experience there. I believe they originally opened with hopes of an EK43 being their SO espresso grinder, but they weren't content with the thinner shot consistency and shorter pulls, so it's retired to SO pourover or grinding beans customers purchase. I really love the location and their ever-changing edible options.

We enjoy dropping into Stouthaus any time we drop by the Sunset Valley farmers market or St. Philips; and I think it's great that SP only serves batch brew coffee giving all espresso & specialty drink business to their next door neighbor. We still try to drop in at Saten once a month or so if possible, their drink specials are always tasty, but we just don't wind up in that neighborhood frequently so it requires a trip of it's own. Radio is in our neighborhood, a 5 minute walk from home at most, but we've still never tried it. Since I'm so avid about drink-making at home we don't really get out for espresso as often as I once did. I guess I'll need to add Radio, Flitch and Sister Coffee to my list of things to try in the next month.

We're headed to Dallas for the weekend for my fiance's birthday and I really look forward to sampling a few of their cafes while we're there. I typically just bring my Espro or Aeropress along and make a single cup each morning but we're making a point of finally trying their specialty coffee scene, which is admittedly quite a bit smaller than the one here at home.
LMWDP #505

CrabRangoon

#106: Post by CrabRangoon »

Oh - one more thing :idea: Did anyone make it to either Cuvee or Counter Culture in the past month or so when La Marzocco was touring their new Linea Mini? I missed BOTH stops, much to my dismay, but would love to hear about it. If you were there, please post your thoughts about it or PM me directly - cheers!
LMWDP #505

Eastsideloco

#107: Post by Eastsideloco »

Yes, I attended the La Marzocco event at Cuvée. It was well attended, drawing baristas, roasters and espresso service technicians from all over Central Texas. While I didn't pull any shots myself, many of the pros gave it a go. I didn't hear any complaints. Several of the baristas I talked to had come up on Lineas and felt right at home on the mini. I was impressed by how many shots were pulled before the water reservoir needed to be refilled and the drip tray emptied.

JavaRanger

#108: Post by JavaRanger »

How in the name of Sam Houston did I miss the LM event???? :shock: :evil: :twisted:

Eastsideloco

#109: Post by Eastsideloco »

While I have been too busy to make it over yet, Fleet Coffee's tiny shop is pretty big addition to Austin's specialty coffee scene:

http://sprudge.com/fleet-coffee-96916.html

SAB

#110: Post by SAB replying to Eastsideloco »

Please post an update when you've had a chance to visit. Looks like a good place to try during my next trip to Austin.