Espresso Community in Tucson

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Supertrent1

#1: Post by Supertrent1 »

Hello everyone, especially those from the Tucson area! Next year I will be attending the University of Arizona and I'll be living in Arbol (the dorm). I don't think I'll end up bringing my espresso setup due to size constraints for my first year in the dorm but I would still loved to be immersed in the coffee culture. I saw a few months ago there was a meetup in Tucson and would love to attend in the future, I'm sure there are many in Tucson who are much much better at both brewing and roasting then I am but I would love to continue to develop my taste and talent while I'm studying computer science in school! If you, or anyone you know, is a coffee fanatic in Tucson and would like to maybe meetup on a semi-regular basis and share knowledge I would love that, I'm only 18 but I have to limits on age difference. Young or old, if you're into coffee, I'd love to try to build a little coffee community if you're interested! Also, I work as a Barista in phoenix at a very high volume local third wave shop and though my course load will most likely be dificult at first, I would love to maybe work 1 or 2 days a week at a high quality coffee shop since I won't have my own machine to brew with. If you know someone at Exo coffee and want to let me know if they're hiring I would be a great employee! :D :D :D

ilVecchio

#2: Post by ilVecchio »

I enjoyed hosting the Tucson meet-up in our home. i'd love to meet you when you arrive at the University.

Joel

Supertrent1 (original poster)

#3: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to ilVecchio »

Excellent! I'll message you when I move up and perhaps we could grab a drink at your favorite local cafe!

Jorian

#4: Post by Jorian »

I recently did a coffee road trip through Tucson!

There are some pretty great places!
I only had the time to visit three.

1. Crave Coffee Bar - Tucson, AZ

Crave's beans are shipped from a Seattle based roastery, and the coffee was not the best in Tuscon. However, this place had THE friendliest baristas, they were willing to chat about anything and everything coffee related. Crave is worth the stop, even just to chat up the people behind the counter.

2. Savaya Coffee Market - Tuscon, AZ

They roast small batches in house daily, serving shots pulled with a Victoria Arduino Machine. With a roasted coffee bean menu I was in heaven! They even offered some pretty rare coffees I have never seen sold. Of all the places I tried in Tuscon, this was my personal favorite.

3. Black Crown Coffee Company - Tuscon, AZ

This shop was recently purchased and re-branded as Black Crown. They serve house roasted beans off a Strada. Good coffee in a unique two story venue. The baristas were friendly yet again. Another solid third wave shop to add to the list!

Supertrent1 (original poster)

#5: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to Jorian »

Very cool, thanks for the recommendations! I actually ended up contacting Exo who is a small roaster there in Tucson and I have an interview when I move up so fingers crossed!!

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dumpshot »

Supertrent - welcome to HB and to AZ! As a Wildcat alum, I think you will enjoy Tucson. It is a cool and unique city and great university.

Another cafe suggestion - Cartel has two nice locations within a couple of miles from campus. Great coffee and friendly service.

We had a great meetup at Joel's house this spring. I think we should plan another one in Tucson or Phoenix area in the fall (when the weather is nice).

To other HBers who have had meetups in the past: do you find it is helpful to have an agenda or protocol at your gatherings? How do you do it? At the two that we have had, it has seemed to be an embarrassment of riches! Too many awesome machines, grinders, beans, people. Not complaining here, but I have left wishing I could have learned more because it is an ADHD filled session of "Wow - a Cremina! No wait, HG-1! No wait, single origin beans from X! No wait - get to meet that dude whose posts I have read for years!"

Just curious.

Pete
LMWDP #484

gr2020

#7: Post by gr2020 »

Also check out Yellow Brick Coffee - I had a chance to stop there while visiting a few months ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

http://www.yellowbrickcoffee.com/

AZRich

#8: Post by AZRich »

I am only about 2 miles north of UA and would be happy to meet up some time - ditto for any others in town as well. I roast on a small diy drum in my backyard. Sorry I had to miss Joel's get-together earlier this year! Feel free to p-m me when you get to town.
Rich