www.espressocare.com: expert repairs with an italian touch

Decent Espresso in New Jersey

Postby jbell on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:35 am

There seems to be a decent amount of "Espresso in [location]" threads floating around.
I haven't seen one dedicated to NJ.

I frequently travel all around NJ, and would be interested to hear if anyone has had a good shot anywhere specific.

I stopped by a place in Belmar, forget the name- a block from the train station and got a 200 degree latte- the milk was burnt and disgusting. Scalded my mouth worse than I've ever experienced.

I've stopped by Cafe 360 in Freehold, a friend of a friend owns the place. I've never had a better shot that I haven't pulled myself, and I'm not just saying that. Their blend that they were using was super fruity, very specific of berries.
jbell

Postby tazman0020 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 pm

It is a little far from Freehold, but if you're in the Bergen County area:

http://www.Ridgewoodcoffeecompany.com

I was there this morning and they are making excellent stuff.

Dave
tazman0020

Postby sweaner on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Here is my staple place, in Lambertville. I am there weekly, and even had my 50th birthday there.

http://www.rojosroastery.com/
Scott
LMWDP #248

Man does not live by coffee alone...we need beer too.
sweaner

Postby Peppersass on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 pm

If you're on the northern Jersey shore, check out America's Cup in Asbury Park. They roast their own coffee. The beans are good, but not fabulous (it ain't Seattle, after all.) They have a 2-group Astoria with matching grinder. Quality in the cup depends on which barista is on duty. Best shots I've had were made by the brunette with major tats on her arms. She does better microfoam than her co-workers, but even hers is overstretched.

Food is good, too. They have the most amazing Kobe Beef hot dogs :shock: , and make a mean lox and bagel platter. The pastries look good, though I've not indulged.

Atmosphere is first rate. Great place to sit and surf the web on their free Wi-Fi.

Bottom line, while not in the league of the best coffee shops in the country, this place is a lot better than any of the other coffee shops in its area. I go there every morning when I'm visiting relatives nearby.
Dick Green
Peppersass

Postby oqcoffee on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Rojo's and Ridgewood are your two best bets. Ristrettoed shots on La Marzocco or Synesso. Rojo's roasts his own and sources some great stuff; Ridgewood gets their beans from an assortment of roasters including Intelligentsia, Caffe Pronto, Novo, and ourselves.

Other than those two places, you'll be hard pressed to find anything worth mentioning. Maybe the Lazy Bean in Teaneck? They use a Clover, but I don't know about their espresso.
oqcoffee

Postby mute on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 pm

sweaner wrote:Here is my staple place, in Lambertville. I am there weekly, and even had my 50th birthday there.

http://www.rojosroastery.com/

Nice, I was just talking to the woman about taking a trip to New Hope. Now I have another reason to cross the river. :)
mute

Postby erics on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm

The Rojos Roastery in Lambertville is an ABSOLUTE PLEASURE. The owner, David Waldman, is knowledgeable, polished, and cares about all of his products. Plan on multiple trips.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at erols dot com
erics

Postby oqcoffee on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Two more great cafes in the Jerz: Dames (in Hoboken) serves Counter Culture (Aficionado) and The Warehouse Cafe (in Jersey City) serves Intelligentsia (Black Cat).
oqcoffee

Postby robroaster on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 pm

No Ordinary Joes in Red Bank is good. Jersey Shore Roaster on 36 in Leonardo roasts their own and is very good. A couple new ones just opened that I need to check out still.
robroaster

Postby mariog7 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Yup, Rojos is awesome!
mariog7