Consistently good coffee shops in NYC - Page 11

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
shawndo

#101: Post by shawndo »

Carneiro wrote:The one at Greenwich. I didn't know the other locations.
THere are 2 on Greenwich. I think 275 Greenwich is closer to the WTC.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

TheSunInsideYou

#102: Post by TheSunInsideYou replying to shawndo »

Yeah, the 275 location is across from the whole foods and B&N just a couple block up from WTC. The 401 Greenwich location is on Beach across from the CitiGroup building.

Sounds like you probably went to the 275 location, as that's the more popular (and original one). Again, I'm very sorry to hear that. If you're ever in the area again, let me know (PM me), and I'll happily pull you an apology shot. :wink: :lol:

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

Advertisement
Carneiro

#103: Post by Carneiro »

Yes, it was the 275 then. I went there in 2010 too, I had a really nice single origin from Ethiopia.

Don't worry about the shot. As it was crowded and we were heading for lunch I didn't talk to the Barista. I love the sheep stuff, as my last name is "ram" in Portuguese. :mrgreen:

Márcio.

ciaodown

#104: Post by ciaodown »

Hi to all,

I've been to most of the places noted on huge thread, (love you 1668!), with varying results over the years (they really were grumpy at Grumpy).

Considering that we couldn't even have this conversation 10 years ago, it's a pretty exciting time for coffee in NYC! ...

Anyone have an opinion about espresso at Zibetto in midtown? (West side of 6th Ave, near 57th street)...

Also, though not strictly "coffee-only":

St. Ambroeus (Madison Avenue between 77/78) has served up some pretty amazing milk-based drinks.

Via Quaddrono... Madison / 74th

ciaodown

#105: Post by ciaodown »

Also, anyone tried the Elektra machine at the tiny, standing only, coffee bar at Eataly?

shawndo

#106: Post by shawndo replying to ciaodown »

I've tried an espresso made by one of their baristas. (I didn't get to try the actual machine).
If I remember right, they were using somewhat stale Lavazza beans at the time. Didn't really make me want to go back.

vze26m98

#107: Post by vze26m98 »

shawndo wrote:If I remember right, they were using somewhat stale Lavazza beans at the time. Didn't really make me want to go back.
I believe what the OP is referring to is the Caffe Vergnano bar farther back in the store. It serves Caffe Vergnano, a Piedmontese roaster, as espresso and macchiato only. They vary which Vergnano blend they pull throughout the week. I happen to like Italian espresso blends--although I prefer the Roman ones--but what I've had there have all been tasty.

If you like this sort of thing, the Filicori Zecchini (Emilia Romagna) caffe at 46th and Madison is worth a visit also.

Best, Charles

Advertisement
shawndo

#108: Post by shawndo »

vze26m98 wrote:I believe what the OP is referring to is the Caffe Vergnano bar farther back in the store.
Right, the second cafe with the huge elektra. I guess I didn't know they served a different blend.
I tried it quite a while ago. Must have been shortly after Eataly was opened. I just remembered the shot was scalding hot and didn't inspire a return at the time. I've just walked by since, especially with Joe Pro shop right around the corner. I'll give it another shot next time.

Are they actually getting Italian beans of reasonable freshness?

vze26m98

#109: Post by vze26m98 »

shawndo wrote:Are they actually getting Italian beans of reasonable freshness?
I consider freshness something of a canard with respect to Italian coffees. You might want to read Jim Schulman's wonderful take on them: Thoughts on an Italian Espresso Blend. So, the espresso at Caffe Vergnano would be as fresh as any Italian would drink it.

I have a preference for the arabica-robusta blends, in most cases 80-20% or less, although I have some exceptions. As you might guess, the 100% arabica blends force comparison with freshly roasted US coffees, and seem to "stale" much quicker than the robusta blends. (You probably want to go to a cafe that consumes the 1kg bag on the day it's opened.) The robusta adds complexity, but I'll admit it's not everyone's game.

The Petite Abeille restaurants (17th & 6th, Duane Street, East 21st, perhaps other locations) pull Danesi Classic, which to my mind is a really great Italian (Roman) blend. You can go in and just have espresso if you want.

Best, Charles

beer&mathematics

#110: Post by beer&mathematics »

Tried Everyman Espresso on Canal st (soho). First time there and the place is quite nice and the baristas were as well. Clearly well maintained shop.

First time trying counter culture. I had an espresso of Rustico. Well prepared but unspectacular. I'm not sure why I wasn't so jazzed. Maybe because it didn't do anything particularly well: no body at all, had blueberries but it was so mild it had me wondering "why bother?" I'll keep trying as I liked the vibe there.
LMWDP #431