Coffee tastes like strawberries literally

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
entropy4money

#1: Post by entropy4money »

So my friend told me about this new cafe where their espresso tastes so fruity and sweet it tastes like strawberry. I was curious so I went there to have a double, and it literally tasted like espresso+strawberry. I don't think it tasted good, ti was awful, like they literally dropped strawberries in there. I asked the barista what types of bean they used and he said a single origin from Ethiopia, lightish roast. I asked if they put strawberry in the espresso or bean, and if they did, how they did it. He said their coffee is fair trade organic and nothing is added to it. I asked if I could buy some to brew it at home, and he said they don't sell their beans!!!!.

I think there is something really weird going on at this cafe, I won't drink their coffee again. Very strange they didn't sell their beans. What do you think these guys are doing? I think they're definitely doing something.

Take a double espresso, put it in a blender with a strawberry. That is exactly how this thing tasted, I am serious.

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to entropy4money »

I've tried an Ehtiopian bean that has a strong strawberry note. I'm in Canada and this Toronto roaster sells it. I'm sure there are U.S. roasters offering a similar bean:
http://www.pilotcoffeeroasters.com/products/kilenso

There's nothing weird about what you describe. It's just not traditional Italian style espresso. Single origin beans, from certain regions, grown and processed in a certain way, and roasted in a certain way, can yield a wide variety of flavours.

But taste is a subjective thing. Not everyone likes the same things in their espresso. That's what makes specialty coffee great. There's something for everyone!

entropy4money (original poster)

#3: Post by entropy4money (original poster) »

That's crazy interesting. I could swear it tastes like real strawberry. I am skeptical to believe this is a natural, real flavour.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I have had coffees that tasted of strawberry, even roasted some myself, usually a light roasted coffee from Ethiopia.

I remember reading a tweet years ago from a coffee professional (I don't remember which) that claimed that strawberry taste in coffee was a defect, a sign of ferment in naturally processed coffee, but it's popped up in so many coffees lately that I believe that this opinion is in the minority these days. It's amazing all the flavor analogs that crop up in well roasted, fresh coffees, peaches, lime, strawberry, blueberry, and on an on. These flavors can be a real eye-opener for people new to fresh, lightly roasted coffee, and natural process coffees are especially shocking with their bold flavors but even clean, washed processed coffees exhibit a lot of these flavors.

Here's a discussion of the coffee flavor wheel with an updated wheel from Counter Culture Coffee. Updated Flavor Wheel from Counter Culture Coffee

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

entropy4money wrote:That's crazy interesting. I could swear it tastes like real strawberry. I am skeptical to believe this is a natural, real flavour.
Yeah all kinds of flavours are possible with different beans. I've been getting peach notes from a coffee I'm brewing with my Espro press and Aeropress. It's also an Ethiopian bean from the Sidama region.

entropy4money (original poster)

#6: Post by entropy4money (original poster) »

Well that is incredible coffee can naturally taste like that. really cool. I guess I was just being paranoid hahaha.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

This is the entrance to the rabbit hole of specialty coffee, where coffee morphs from something to wake you up to a beverage to savor. How far will you tumble down? :D
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

caldwa

#8: Post by caldwa »

entropy4money wrote:That's crazy interesting. I could swear it tastes like real strawberry. I am skeptical to believe this is a natural, real flavour.
Nah, it's real. You'll definitely find some Ethiopia coffees that have that strawberry note - the most recent one I can think of having is Kuma's washed Shakisso which I had in early May, but it's sold out. For me, the coffee with the most vibrant strawberry note that I have come across is the Elida Estate Natural from Panama - I'm not sure if anyone has any right now (2014 crops are mostly gone), but this summer the 2015 crops should show up. Look for roasters like PT's Coffee, Portola Coffee Lab, Equator Coffees, and Verve Coffee Roasters to have it later this year, I've enjoyed their roasts of the Elida Natural.

Peppersass

#9: Post by Peppersass »

I usually can't detect many of the exotic flavors touted for specialty coffees, but I've had a number of naturals with very strong berry flavors. Some iterations of Idido from Counter Culture Coffee and Konga Yirgacheffe from Compass Roasters have had almost overwhelming blueberry aroma and flavor. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's too much.

I've read that these flavors are a byproduct of fermentation during the sun-drying process and purists consider it to be a defect rather than a flavor inherent in the varietal. Similar debates take place over coffees from Yemen, which are processed in a unique manner.

coffeefanatic1

#10: Post by coffeefanatic1 »

The coffee that i'm currently drinking, (i won't make any mention of the brand name) tastes like cherries, and it is not nice. If i wanted to have cherry for breakfast I would make a smoothie. I think there is a big push for novelty coffee tastes at the moment, as I noticed a few in London who added new fruit flavours to their menu recently.