Coffee at Florence

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Carneiro

#1: Post by Carneiro »

Ciao a tutti!

I'm at Florence since Sunday and I will be here for more 3 weeks!

As long as the coffee around is OK, I could find great coffee as I found in Rome, Naples and even Milan. I have to say the best coffee I had at Milan was at Ciminno, that's a roaster from Naples!

Does anybody have a tip on some hidden gem here? Most of local blends are just fine but it seems the baristas like to extract less, maybe a tradition developed 'cause there are so many tourists concentrated?

Saluti!

Marcio.

joanes

#2: Post by joanes »

Hi
I've explored the place a bit. I haven't found any third wave kind of coffees there, that are getting so common in the US, but a couple of places offered better than average italian style espresso.

Since all espresso at the at the bar cost ~1 Euro, I enjoyed going to the classiest establishments, such as Scudieri, by the basilica.

But I preferred the atmosphere on the south bank of the river, and enjoyed il Caffé degli arigiani on Via Toscanella / Via dello Sprone, and the 'cafe la cite', Borgo San Frediano, 20.

Hope this can guide you a little. enjoy the place.

Carneiro (original poster)

#3: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Thanks, Joanes!

For sure no third wave trend, but just looking for the good Italian espresso. No the coffee here is 1.10, some less touristy places 1...

I'll try for sure your tips, I have indeed to explore the south of the city yet.

Márcio.

hadriano

#4: Post by hadriano »

http://www.grancaffesanmarco.it/la-caffetteria.html
piazza san marco, near with Museum of Academy...where is the ORIGINAL David statue.Must see.Must see.
In this bar, iI THE FIRST PROTOTYPE OF LA MARZOCCO machine, with saturated group.The machine is in good condition, not the best presentation (is visible the old age) but functionaly.I tasted 2 coffee, very bad technique of barista , bad adjustment of grinder with overflow,ecc but...I feel a difference from "normal" or good machine.Is dificult to describe why, what...but i feel.(I have a good alex duetto, but the cofee from la marzocco was...un'altra cosa -another thing) :).
Good trip

#5: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Ciao, Adriano!

Thanks! Great advice. I read a little bit of the Italian forum and I subscribed to it too, but I couldn't write to the presentation topic, I don't know why (I didn't receive a confirmation link of he forum...).

Márcio.

salvatore

#6: Post by salvatore »

Caro Márcio,

Do you have a link to the Italian forum you are reading? I am about to spend a month in Italy, therefore this is of great interest!

Grazie tante,
Salvatore
"L'unico modo per liberarsi da una tentazione è cedervi." Oscar Wilde

#7: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Salvatore!

Their forum is http://www.passionecaffe.it

salvatore

#8: Post by salvatore »

Grazie mille! Spero che tu abbia un bel tempo in Italia.
"L'unico modo per liberarsi da una tentazione è cedervi." Oscar Wilde

topotail

#9: Post by topotail »

I toured the Venetto region eight years ago, and found only one cafe I liked, which was in Vicenza. Everywhere else they pulled lungo shots, which lacked body and tasted watery. I'm a ristretto guy.

hadriano

#10: Post by hadriano »

lacked body and tasted watery
hm, maybe you drinked in the china bar :) .I'm not italian, but I dont tasted watery coffee in Italy.Sure , is not all time the best, but try to see how is in France, or , my Good, in Germany. :lol: The volume is 20 times more comparated with a normal espresso.