Chicago south side cafe recommendations

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
BladeAndStone
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by BladeAndStone »

Starting a new thread on notable drinkeries in Chicago. Cursory reviews of previous threads were closed to new posts due to being old.

Plein Air Cafe, UofC campus - Hyde park. Has all the trimmings of a competent third wave shop: LM three group and titan mazzers with few choices of SOs. Barista did a great job on cortados and lates. Excellent art and milk texture. Highly recommended.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I actually went there yesterday and had a couple pours overs. Both were fantastic. Maybe i'll try the espresso next...

shanec

#3: Post by shanec »

I am surprised there isn't more activity on this thread. As I just purchased new espresso gear for my home (Vetrano 2B, Ceado e37s), I would love to find a local espresso shop to compare against as a baseline. I work downtown (River North) and live in the western suburbs (Oak Brook), so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have found that Fabcakes on Wells in River North is a great shop (k30, 3-group Linea, excellent execution). Oddly enough, the baristas in Standard Market in Westmont also seem to be excellent. They use fresh Counter Culture coffee, weigh every shot, great latte art, etc.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Well I think because it's for the south side, which is lacking. I live up north and there are tons.

As for river north, there is an intelligentsia and a bow truss near there. I'm not particularly fond of either location though. You need to visit lakeview and the logan square/wicker park area. Honestly the best and only real place to go is Ipsento.

Sideshow

#5: Post by Sideshow »

brianl wrote:You need to visit lakeview and the logan square/wicker park area. Honestly the best and only real place to go is Ipsento.
Yes to the first sentence. To the second, Ipsento is good for sure, but I've been absolutely enamored with Gaslight (Logan) these past few months.