Chicago / Milwaukee meetup?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
dominico
Team HB

#1: Post by dominico »

Looking around the forums for local inspiration it appears that there was a home-barista espresso get-together in January.

Were there plans to do something like that again in 2015? If so I'd like to be part of it.

Thanks,

-Dom
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

There was a meet up last month in Chicago. There is quite a large Chicago following on this forum.

Advertisement
bean2friends

#3: Post by bean2friends »

dominico wrote:Looking around the forums for local inspiration it appears that there was a home-barista espresso get-together in January.

Were there plans to do something like that again in 2015? If so I'd like to be part of it.
Thanks,

-Dom
So keep watching. I think there's a meet up at least once a year and you'd be welcome I'm sure.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

The next one is likely to be in late February or March.
Jim Schulman

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mdmvrockford replying to another_jim »

After attending Chicago HB XII at Jim's, I PM he and Sherman to offer to host next one. Jim agreed to come. I live in Rockford, IL and so for the Milwaukee members quick trip down I-43.

I did not want to post for this Chicago/Milwaukee HB Get-Together XIII as felt would be too early. Then I saw this thread. So I guess now might as well start thread (can't say too late planning:)

DATE:
for me can be any Saturday in February or March 2015. Really it has to be date that works for Jim's schedule as need at least one Team HB member attending.

THEME:
TBD
Also tentative plan is to have those interested go to Rockford Roasting Company http://rockfordroastingcompany.com/ about 10 minutes from my home. If this is done would make sense to go there when everyone ready to leave. Boss's vehicle can hold 7 persons and my other car (with someone offer to drive it holds 4). Their espresso machine is two group lever http://www.bosco-macchine.com/product%2 ... p?codice=2. And to my palate, his roasting is very good.

HOST FOOD DISH (tentative):
Boss' Mac and Cheese from this recipe
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=4291479
Thai dish TBD

ETOH:
I will have at least three different single malt scotches (two different Balvenies, Glenfiddich 15 year). Also have at least two bottles Wine Spectator 2010 Top 100 that are ready to drink (Durigutti Malbec 2008 and Pinot Noir) if there is interest. I will supply some IPA beers too (e.g. Stone Brewing Company or Green Flash Brewery).

OTHER ENTERTAINMENT:
Have a club level table tennis table and four paddles (my other hobby...though I am novice at it); four seat theater downstair but home's main level has 50 inch plasma for regular viewing.

Vberch who hosted Chicago/Milwaukee HB Get-Together XI had in his original thread post updated list of attendees and equipment list. When closer to actual date I 'll start another thread and just say to those to read this one via link.

COFFEE BEANS:
Since I do not roast (yet), I will be supplying some "tried and trued" beans (e.g. Paradise Roasters Classico, Paradise Roaster Nuevo, Intelligentsia Black Cat).

EQUIPMENT LIST:
All I own is Alexia (E61) with PID, Mazzer Super Jolly, OE Pharos, Rancilio Rocky, french press and Clever.
Will be dependent on attendees for lever machine and other grinders.
LMWDP #568

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Sounds incredibly tasty. I'm booked Feb 7, and out of town on 28 Feb and 7 March; any other date is fine.

I can bring 3 Geishas; wet, honey and dry. But that would be more for brewing. Floor's open for a theme.
Jim Schulman

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mdmvrockford »

another_jim wrote:Sounds incredibly tasty. I'm out of town on 28 Feb and 7 March; any other date is fine.
Thanks Jim. How's about let's make it Saturday, February 21, 2015 . For those new to these Chicago HB Get-Togethers start time is 1000AM and ends when last person leaves. Although in this case (if there is enough interest) I will drive contingent to Rockford Roasting Company cafe and roastery at end of meeting (and then drop all back off at my place). Please post to this thread if you will be coming so I can get head count. I will personal message all attendees one week before the actual meet date with my home address.

Host responsible for main dish. Guests may bring what they like. Jim and other senior HB Chicago members, please correct me if I am wrong.

THEME:
Still TBD, but Jim was it you or Sherman that had the formal PowerPoint slide presentation used at beginning on Chicago HB Get-Together IX at Russell's home. I do NOT want it to be whole theme but would be helpful for three newbie colleagues of mine who may be attending. And personally for me I don't mind hearing the basics again. The computer can be hooked up to 50" plasma in family room or let's go all in on 123" screen downstairs with 5.1 surround! :)
LMWDP #568

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

It's best to leave the date open until the other area members can check their calenders. I've posted an announcement and will pm as many as I can.
Jim Schulman

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mdmvrockford replying to another_jim »

Thanks Jim. For me any Saturday in February or March 2015 will work. Let's hope one works best for as many as possible.
LMWDP #568

dominico (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by dominico (original poster) »

I will be giving a tour of Walt Disney World to four Italians from Feb 7 - 22nd, so unfortunately if it is Feb 21st I wouldn't be able to make it.

If I do happen to be able to make it though, by espresso setup is modest but I could bring something of interest. The most useful gear I could bring would probably be my three La Pavoni Europiccolas (one is a '64 and the other two are early 70's models) however I may have sold at least 2 of them by then. I also have an Ascaso Steel Uno w/ PID, it is basically a Spanish version of the Silvia. And I have a stock Pharos grinder, but I'm sure there wouldn't be a need for a hand grinder.

Coffee-wise I could just bring some of my favorite roasts from local roasters around Milwaukee, probably Valentine's Espresso Dolce and Ethiopia and Stone Creek's Green Bike

Recreational-related, I could be coaxed into bringing my foosball table, a high end Tornado model (although it is quite heavy), if there is space and interest in playing it. I am looking to get better at Table Tennis myself though :-)
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?