Chicago/Milwaukee HB.com get-together #13 (attendee list)

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mdmvrockford »

Hello all,
I figure now is good time to post this. Please PM me if you are going to attend and I will reply PM with my home address. I need head count to know how much food to prepare. I will update this post regularly (up to time of meet) with attendee names, equipment list & coffee bean list and accessory list.

DATE:
Saturday, March 14, 2015
start time 1000AM

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES (to date):
another_jim (Team HB)
sherman (TeamHB)
vberch and one family member
dominico
earlgrey_44
spooning
DanGE and one family member
UltramaticOrange
mdmvrockford (host) and two of his work colleagues

THEME:
TBD

If powerpoint presentation going to be done (one was done for HB get together #9) I have 50" plasma TV in family room or we can go all in on 123" screen in downstairs home theater :)

Also tentative plan is to have those interested go to Rockford Roasting Company [ http://rockfordroastingcompany.com ] about 10 minutes from my home. If this is done would make sense to go there later in get together. I figure ~ 1300 as this will be after lunch served and business there less busy and shop owner will have more time to talk with us. Boss's vehicle can hold 7 persons and my other car (with someone offer to drive it holds 4). Rockford Roasting espresso machine is two group lever [ http://www.bosco-macchine.com/product%2 ... p?codice=2 ]. And to my palate, his roasting is very good. And Alton Brown seem to agree FWIW [ http://altonbrown.com/ab-road-eats-rockford-il/ ], I spoke with cafe owner on Saturday, February 22, 2015 about this tentative plan and he is looking forward to it. His current espresso offering (and for next month) is a single origin Brazil (Sul de Minas) that is roasted on site. http://rockfordroastingcompany.com/on-brew/

HOST FOOD DISH (tentative as I do not cook so it is all dependent on my Boss) :
(1) Mac and Cheese from the first listed recipe
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=4291479
(2) Thai dish TBD

COFFEE BEANS:
* Paradise Roasters Classico
* Intelligentsia Black Cat (embarassingly due to host does not home roast)
* three Geishas (wet, honey, dry ) from another_jim
* Ethiopia Sidamo Guji from vberch
* Portola coffee lab
* Valentine Roasters Espresso Dolce

EQUIPMENT LIST:
(1) Machine & Brewer
* Quickmill Alexia (E61) with PID
* LaPavoni (exact one(s) TBD from dominico)
* Olympia Cremina
* Portaspresso Rossa
* Arrarex caravel
* Clever coffee dripper (have two)
* Bodum french press (4 cup capacity)

(2) grinder
* Compak K10
* Macap M7A
* Portaspresso Rosco grinder
* Orphan Espresso Pharos (essentially stock)
* Mazzer Super Jolly with doser (stock burrs)
* Baratza Vario
* Rancilio Rocky doserless (unmodded)

(3) accessories/cups
* Bodum double wall 2oz glasses (total 5)
* espresso cups (from Vlad and dominico)
* 10 porcelain cappuccino capacity cups and saucers
* two 58mm tampers
* two AWS 0.1gram digital scales
* one Acaia scale

ETHANOL:
* three different single malt scotches (two different Balvenies (12 year), Glenfiddich (15 year)).
* one bottle Durigutti Malbec 2008
* one bottle Cambria Julia Vineyard Pinot Noir 2006
*~6-12 oz bottles of IPA beers (e.g. Stone Brewing Company or Green Flash Brewery).

OTHER ENTERTAINMENT:
* club level table tennis table and four paddles (my other hobby...though I am novice at it)
* four seat theater downstairs but home's main level has 50 inch plasma for regular viewing.
(e.g. GranTurismo 6 in full simulation mode with wheel and pedal set on HT screen is "sweet" (in Napoleon Dynamite voice :) )
* Italian playing cards (from dominico)
LMWDP #568

Spooning

#2: Post by Spooning »

I would like to come, but I do have a party layer that day. I will bring some portola coffee lab beans, and some wine. I'm also a beer geek, so if someone wants something else I could bring it. I also have an acaia scale if anyone wants to play with it.

vberch

#3: Post by vberch »

Michael,

I'll bring a '90 Olympia Cremina with EricS thermometer, Portaspresso Rossa, Rosco grinder and some interesting homeroasted coffee.

I'll also bring a few espresso cups.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

Espresso Machines
I have three LA Pavoni pre mils:
'64 first generation (still leaking, need to replace more group seals)
2 switch second gen from the 80s, works perfectly, but in need of some exterior refinishing
Pstat 2nd gen from '98, my primary home lever until I finally decide to upgrade.

My spring lever Zacconi Riviera has unfortunately suffered a broken sight glass and I don't know if my replacement will arrive in time.

Grinders
I can bring an un-modded Pharos (although I don't think I'm the only one attending with a Pharos).

I also have a Baratza Vario I can bring if needed.

Cups:
I can bring at least 10 espresso sized 2 oz cups, 6 of them porcelain, 4 of them double walled thermal glass.

As for coffee, I can bring some of Valentine Coffee Roaster's "Espresso Dolce" as well as perhaps one of their single origin roasts.

Entertainment:
I can bring a couple decks of Italian (Napoletane style) playing cards if anyone is interested in learning the very popular Italian Card game of "Scopa", often played in coffee bars while drinking espresso all over Italy. (You can play this game with standard cards too, as is often done in the North of Italy, but a bit of the "cultural enhancement" is lost).
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

mdmvrockford (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) replying to dominico »

Dominick,
I would request you bring the LaPavoni with switch and the LaPavoni with Pstat.

I have Pharos too so no need to bring yours.

Please bring the Vario (if anything to compare grind with my SuperJolly). Still looking for attendee to bring a motorized large conical (e.g. Compak K10 or Doge Fiorenzato) o/w will have some shoulder strain if just used Pharos alone. And hopefully earlgrey_44 will bring his 75mm flat burr grinder.

I think if you brought five espresso cups this will be enough when combined with Vlad's.

Please bring the Valentine Dolce. Please realize at these meets no need to bring over 12oz as there is usually numerous different beans to sample.

Personally I'd like to see the Italian cards.
LMWDP #568

vberch

#6: Post by vberch »

Michael, in the spirit of downsizing my oversized espresso shrine I've decided to sell my OE Pharos and OE Lido. I am going to post them in the FS section with the first right of refusal given to the HB meet attendees.

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

mdmvrockford wrote:Still looking for attendee to bring a motorized large conical (e.g. Compak K10 or Doge Fiorenzato)
I or Sherman, who is coming last I heard, will bring a Compak for regular grind duty.
Jim Schulman

earlgrey_44

#8: Post by earlgrey_44 »

mdmvrockford wrote: And hopefully earlgrey_44 will bring his 75mm flat burr grinder.
Yes, Macap M7 will be there. Utilitarian Italian bar grinder. Fun to try - gives that melllloow flavor...
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

mdmvrockford (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mdmvrockford (original poster) replying to earlgrey_44 »

Thank you Gary. I've updated the initial post grinder list.
LMWDP #568

Sherman

#10: Post by Sherman »

I'm in and can bring a minivan and K10 so that Jim doesn't have to lug his.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288