Chicago Grinder Shootout - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
earlgrey_44

#11: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Sherman wrote:Macap M7 (if earlgrey_44 is willing to risk lower back injury to bring it along
If no Mythos, me strong like bull...

(snort)
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Reefwreak

#12: Post by Reefwreak »

If this ends up happening in any weekend after the first weekend of October I would definitely attend. W

hile I'm relatively new to the hobby, and probably don't have too much to contribute, I'd happily bring my grinder, a Nuova-Simonelli MCF for demo/testing/comparison. It's a 4.5 hour drive each way, but easily worth it to be in the company of the greats who have posted in this thread. So much to learn, so little time (and resources!).

I'll check back in the thread to see if there is any news, hopefully this works out (and hopefully I'm welcome!).

Sherman (original poster)

#13: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

UPDATE

Thursday morning, around 9:00am at the Counter Culture training center:

177 N. Ada St.
Chicago, IL

It's the only time available, and my decision is that I'd rather have access to the NS Mythos _and_ Robur. Sorry for the late notice, and to anyone who can't make it at that time. I promise to take lots of pictures.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

Um, what Thursday?
Jim Schulman

#15: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

This Thursday (9/29). Sorry for the lack of detail.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

#16: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

Wrapping up: Today's event was a reminder of how difficult it can be to run a "proper" test. All in all, we were able to taste a few shots of Aficianado and Apollo 5.0, and the Pharos proved that it can compete. By my estimation, the Pharos was indistinguishable from the Robur, and more laid back than the Nuova Simonelli.

Thanks to Josh and Rich at Counter Culture Chicago for opening up their space and equipment. BTW, the Strada EP is quite impressive in full manual mode. In the hour or two that I had to play with it and pull shots with Toscano, it was able to produce a range of flavors. I was able to make the same dose taste like a vibe pump machine, a soft Aurelia-type spring lever and even try an ultra-low pressure mini-Cremina. If I had the space and money, this thing would be at or near the top of my list.

There will be another, more rigorous session this Sunday (10/2). If you're interested, please RSVP here.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

Pipeguy

#17: Post by Pipeguy »

I'll be there!

Let me know if I can bring anything...

another_jim
Team HB

#18: Post by another_jim »

Something malty, a medium to dark beer or ale, would work with lunch
Jim Schulman

ilVecchio
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by ilVecchio »

Hmm. Would something yet stronger work as an aperitif?

#20: Post by Sherman (original poster) »

Thanks to all who participated. Overall, the Pharos continues to hold its own against the Compak K10 and Macap M7. The process consisted of dialling in three different coffees, a high-dose friendly DP Yirg, Cafe Ipsento's Wildfire blend (natural & honey processed Panamas) at a medium dose and Counter Culture's Apollo v5 also at medium dose. Two Elektra Semiautomaticas were up and running to serve as a relatively stable and consistent platform. Any deficiencies at the grinder level would be quite evident.

For the test, both grinders were dialled in to produce similarly-flowing shots at the same dose. First up, the Macap M7. Shots were pulled at 17g doses, stopping flow around 23 seconds and producing a smaller volume, higher ratio drink. Both shots were well received, with the Pharos tasting somewhat more acidic and the M7 more integrated. Two rounds of shots were pulled in this manner, and the difference between the two grinders was rather clear.

Moving onto Wildfire at 15.5g doses, the results were similar. The M7 continued to provide a more relaxed, blended profile that combined notes of apricot and cantaloupe with a milk chocolate background, and the Pharos pulled out more of the apricot, sending the other flavors more into the background.

After a short lunch break, the Compak K10 and Pharos produced two rounds of Apollo at 15.5g. At this dose, the Compak came out ahead due to a more rounded finish, while the Pharos was all up front and punchy. Switching machines didn't change the outcome. Again, both shots were consistent and tasty, but there's something about the K10 that provided a creamier finish.

At the end of this, I have little doubt that the Pharos can stand up to any other grinder in terms of pure output grind quality, consistency and repeatability of grind setting. Where it loses points for me is in ergonomics and grind exit path/static issues at espresso grinds. I didn't observe this issue at press/drip settings, and attribute it more to the static and fine-ness of grind.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288