Cafes with lever espresso machines in NYC

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

Hello,

I am curious to try espresso from a lever machine. Does anyone know if there are any commercial coffee shops in the NYC area that use one? Preference is for shops near Greenpoint, Brooklyn. But will be willing to travel to any shop that can be accessed from the subway.

Btw, is there already a list somewhere on the internets of cafes/machines they use?
LMWDP #431

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by cpreston »

Joe Pro Shop in Chelsea has an idrocompresso. I have had some excellent coffee there.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#3: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

cpreston wrote:Joe Pro Shop in Chelsea has an idrocompresso.
Thanks! That's near where I teach, so I'll check it out on Tuesday. Know any places in Williamsburg? I am going to Gimme Coffee..their website shows a picture of a lever (unknown brand)

Edit: can cross off Gimme Coffee from the list. They had a LM Linea paddle. Espresso was good, and their clever Kenya Gatomboya was great too.
LMWDP #431

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Chabeau »

Blue bottle in Williamsburg has a vintage Faema iirc. Excellent shots out of that machine. It was paired with a Robur.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

#5: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

searching online, seems Oslo has a "San Marco Leva hand-pulled piston machine" just two blocks from Gimme Coffee--D'oh! Will try to check Olso out tomorrow...
LMWDP #431

fishll

#6: Post by fishll »

Yes to blue bottle, that little fema is beautiful and the guat I had from it was perfect.
Oslo was good but shortly after I visited them they had a fire, not sure if the place is back again but they did in fact have the san marco leva.
And while your in the neighborhood you might as well take a stroll to Parlor in the back of the persons of interest barber shop. They pull a great cup on a slayer in the barbers back room.

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Chabeau »

You mean a Kees Speedster? Slayers don't come in a single group... Yet.

Dylan at Parlor pulled one of the best shots I've had in NYC. Along with the Blue Bottle lever, Toby's Estate and Marlow and Sons. I just noticed all of these places are in Brooklyn. Everywhere else was meh.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

fishll

#8: Post by fishll »

Yes Speedster! My mind was confused by all the chrome. But yes that area of williamsburg is full of great coffee.

#9: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Parlor...wow now that's a hip haircut place!
LMWDP #431