Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
earlgrey_44

#1: Post by earlgrey_44 »

An upcoming trip brings me to these places and points in between. What say ye about coffee experiences?
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

I would be interested in an update since this out-of-date thread. I had a great time in that neck of beautiful woods, November a few years ago.

Portland, ME.

As far as Bar Harbor, I recall a touristy spot with a Victoria Arduino lever and Lavazza, and a coffee shop with Batdorf and Bronson with a better utilized Rancilio two group lever. But again, out of date information.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
earlgrey_44 (original poster)

#3: Post by earlgrey_44 (original poster) »

Thanks, Chert, for remembering this older thread.
I notice all the places mentioned are still there.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

Bard is pretty good for espresso. I was impressed

aaronotb

#5: Post by aaronotb »

Tandem Coffee in Portland is great. They have both a roastery with a small coffee bar, and an amazing cafe with fantastic baked goods as well. If you can only go to one, I'd visit the cafe/bakery (in a converted service station).

earlgrey_44 (original poster)

#6: Post by earlgrey_44 (original poster) »

brianl wrote:Bard is pretty good for espresso. I was impressed
aaronotb wrote:Tandem Coffee in Portland is great. They have both a roastery with a small coffee bar, and an amazing cafe with fantastic baked goods as well. If you can only go to one, I'd visit the cafe/bakery (in a converted service station).
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

objective1

#7: Post by objective1 »

Hilarious i spent a few hours last week looking for what was in this thread for likely the exact same reasons...

cruise ship visited boston (sat)/portland(sun)/bar harbor(mon)....

Boston - i finally just gave in to what was local and went to Ogawa... waste of effort...

Portland - Bard was a good smooth basic espresso... sweet and chocalatey... i'd go back
- Tandem the guest beans were reasonably good/okay it was a single origin that i can't even recall (obviously not memorable). the Tandem blend was just not good shot seemed a little long, bright, just not a return worthy experience. the baked goods were extraordinary though. after lunch and they have locally made ice cream as well along with amazing pies (apple and peach)... i'd go back for that and live through the espresso. (just enjoy the shots at Bard first ;-))

Advertisement
LATrapp

#8: Post by LATrapp »

I saw Speckled Ax mentioned in the link above. I've had their coffee at a cafe in Portland 4-5 years ago and loved it and bought some then but didn't realize they had a cafe. Just ordered a couple of bags. Thanks for the reminder.

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

objective1 wrote: Boston - i finally just gave in to what was local and went to Ogawa... waste of effort...
That's a shame. Boston is one of my favorite coffee cities...George Howell, Render, and the Barismo (dwelltime is the one I go to a lot) locations alone are extraordinary.

objective1

#10: Post by objective1 »

i was pretty sure we missed out... my other half wasn't very engaged in my desire to find a good spot... hence the ogawa stop... the places you listed were on my map as places to try (hoping to get the opportunity - but alas)

we'll be back in a few months looking forward to hitting your suggestions. Thanx :-)