Anchorage Coffee

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Col_Potter

#1: Post by Col_Potter »

Have to fly up to Anchorage, AK for some business next week, wondering if there are any good coffee spots people recommend?
The Colonel

onthego

#2: Post by onthego replying to Col_Potter »

Steam.dot is very good. http://www.steamdot.com/

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Saw this place mentioned elsewhere: http://cafedelmundo.com/locations/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

I once walked a mile or two through that windswept icy hellhole to get to a little cafe around 4th and G streets where they kept an Astoria lever machine. But I think they closed down - been several years since I've been there. Kaladi brothers is an Alaskan roaster. Raven's Brew is a great Alaskan roaster out of Ketchican, and if you look on google maps you can find a few cafes that serve it in Anchorage. Heritage roasters out of Juneau is also good, and you might come across them.

Enjoy the last best place in the US
Hawkeye
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Col_Potter (original poster)

#5: Post by Col_Potter (original poster) »

My trip has been postponed again until early summer. Thanks for the suggestions. Peacecup, you don't sound to fond of Anchorage, just don't like the cold?
Enjoy the last best place in the US
Hawkeye
:wink:
The Colonel

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

I was there last September and can second onthego's recommendation for SteamDot, at least the one I visited (at the O'Malley center roastery.) If you're staying downtown and out early, you might try the little coffee/taco stand (AK Alchemy) at the corner of 4th avenue and A street. Is mostly drive-up business, friendly place, serves SteamDot coffee. Peacecup mentioned a place on 4th and G with an Astoria lever - Side Street Espresso was still there when I visited.

Best thing I did in Anchorage was to rent a bicycle and spend a whole day riding - Tony Knowles trail and Kincaid park were especially nice.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Col_Potter (original poster)

#7: Post by Col_Potter (original poster) »

Thanks HomeBurrero, don't know if I have time to get a bike, but thinking I might have to make the time.
The Colonel

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

Peacecup, you don't sound to fond of Anchorage, just don't like the cold?
Anchorage didn't thrill me but the rest of Alaska was the last best place on Earth. Still not quite sure why I left in fact.

Side street espresso sounds correct, so maybe they are still there.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Capitol

#9: Post by Capitol »

SteamDot. That's it. Don't waste your time going anywhere else. I used to live there, and still travel there frequently for work. I've been all over town looking for good coffee. SteamDot is the best place in ANC.

If you need a good cup at SeaTac before your flight go to Beecher's (Caffé Vita) halfway down the C-concourse. That's the best SeaTac has to offer. It's hit or miss depending on the barista.

pcrussell50

#10: Post by pcrussell50 »

All I wanted to do was to ask and see if any new HB approved places to check out have cropped up over the last four years.

-Peter
LMWDP #553