Alpha Dominche STEAMPUNK Brewer in Cafes - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Since Verve just tweeted that if you show them the linked Tweet or Instagram at the Pacific Avenue store before 3 pm today you'll get a complimentary El Faldon brewed on the Steampunk, I'd say that they're in production.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jbviau
Supporter ★

#22: Post by jbviau »

Run, run! I'd leap at the chance to try that coffee-machine combo.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

DrCoffee

#23: Post by DrCoffee »

Unless I missed it, I don't think they had the combo.
Anyway, thanks for the tip. Went there yesterday afternoon. Alas, the tweet no longer worked for a free brew, and I had to pay $5 for a cup (a bit expensive).

Here is the full album and video from my visit:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11041304 ... 3238127953

I've also posted attached a couple pictures here as a tease.

If you haven't been to Verve in the past 6 months, check it out. As if their 2 LM Stradas weren't nice enough, they got custom-made new machines from some guy in Denmark? who used to work at LM. The pictures probably don't do it justice... these are freaking gorgeous machines, perhaps even better than the one real-life Slayer I've seen.

Now onto the STEAMPUNK:
Cool contraption, but they're still working on training the baristas and getting used to cleaning cycles, etc. Took me about 15 minutes after ordering to get my 3 cups (me and 2 friends), and because it was taking too long, I just got myself the Steampunk and 2 regular brews for my buddies. They were only working off 1 out of 4 chambers at the time because of cleaning cycles?

The brew was somewhat between an Aeropress and an FP. More insoluble solids than an Aeropress for sure, and looked color-wise like an FP. But not quite as gritty, and the solids added to the mouthfeel without being overwhelming. I thought the brew tasted a bit cool compared to either of those two methods. Taste wise, I got a lot of floral tastes from this Colombia El Faldon SO they had. Strong nice aroma with it too, matched with the taste.

Overall, I'd get this every now and then, if I see it. But I'd like to see them get comfortable with using it, dialing other coffees in, and (hopefully) a drop in price. Just can't justify paying $5 for a brew unless its something super exotic (their would've been cool) - http://blog.vervecoffeeroasters.com/201 ... -are-here/

I'd say Clover > Steampunk. Especially when I've been to places like Commonplace Coffee (Pittsburgh, PA) and Moxxee (Charleston, WV) where a COE coffee is $3.50 made on a Clover.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Thanks for the report, Visish. I haven't made it down there yet.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

voltairesb

#25: Post by voltairesb »

Despite the horridly stupid name, that thing is beautiful! Remains to be seen how it functions long term, but i'd like to play with one for sure!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by JohnB. »

DrCoffee wrote: If you haven't been to Verve in the past 6 months, check it out. As if their 2 LM Stradas weren't nice enough, they got custom-made new machines from some guy in Denmark? who used to work at LM. The pictures probably don't do it justice... these are freaking gorgeous machines, perhaps even better than the one real-life Slayer I've seen.
Looks like a KvdWesten Spirit to me. Don't recall that he ever worked for LM though??
LMWDP 267

BrianLFC

#27: Post by BrianLFC »

I was in Anaheim for the weekend and Portola were loving this machine.

Great people.

doubleOsoul

#28: Post by doubleOsoul »

yakster wrote:Alpha Dominche just posted a Vimeo of the Steampunk in action.
Thanks for posting Yakster. Clean video which is nice to see (it was impossible to get up close at the SCAA last year without breaking out my shillelagh lol) coupled with one of my favorite songs, Pig Snoots (Andre Williams).

DrCoffee

#29: Post by DrCoffee »

It is indeed a Kees VanDer Western, the Spirit. (Great eye John).

I hadn't heard of him before my visit, that's just what the barista told me (re: LM).

Since seeing it though, I've read a lot more about them!

Intrepid510

#30: Post by Intrepid510 »

Thanks for the report, I gotta agree tho 5 bucks for a cup of a regular offering is kinda meh. Perhaps banking on the novelty factor and trying to not get over run when not really knowing how to work the machine?

Isn't the machine suppose to be able to pump out drinks? I thought that was the whole point.