Access to quality and affordable roasted coffee in NYC

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
nbarlow

#1: Post by nbarlow »

Where is your go to spot to purchase high quality, freshly roasted and affordable beans in NYC?

With 12oz bags from premium roasters in the city coasting anywhere from $14-18 and shipment costs often negating the savings of any online purchases - what is the best alternative? Trying to bring down the runaway cost of the coffee pursuit :)

It would seem that affordable bulk bean purchases would be a good option for the roasters which offer significant cost reductions for 5lb bags. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Any NYC local home roasters looking to sell their beans?

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

What is your definition of affordable? It varies I guess because $15 seems quite reasonable to me.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

beer&mathematics

#3: Post by beer&mathematics »

Closest thing to what you are looking for is Brooklyn Coffee Roasting. But, I don't really care for them much. You can also try farmer's markets. I've bough 1lb bags for as cheap at $10 for decent (but not exceptional) freshly roasted coffee (though not necessarily marked to the day--for example, they'd say we roast on Wed or Thurs)

There's so much good coffee, just spend the extra buck or two. Well, I can tell you of places not to spend your money at :lol:
LMWDP #431

damonbowe

#4: Post by damonbowe »

If you are willing to order from Washington, DC, ME Swings coffee is around $11 per bag which is at least $5 less than elsewhere. Their coffee is first rate.

nbarlow (original poster)

#5: Post by nbarlow (original poster) »

Unfortunately $15 for 12oz of beans is considered expensive on a college budget and frankly given the price/lb of green beans (even high quality ones) I think there is a lot of room for high quality roasters to provide great beans for far cheaper especially in the bulk quantities (5lb) - a discount that is often negligible from top roasters.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Brooklyn Coffee Roasting: I would agree with your assessment, I have also tried their beans and not a big fan
- ME Swings: Will definitely look into it and hopefully see if they can provide me some samples before purchasing

One more question: Anyone had any experience purchasing beans from CoffeeAM? Great prices and on their website a lot of beans have stellar reviews but other sources haven't been so praising....

russel

#6: Post by russel »

nbarlow wrote:Unfortunately $15 for 12oz of beans is considered expensive on a college budget and frankly given the price/lb of green beans (even high quality ones) I think there is a lot of room for high quality roasters to provide great beans for far cheaper especially in the bulk quantities (5lb) - a discount that is often negligible from top roasters.
Most do...it's called wholesale...and often ambitious high profille roasters have some of the most aggressive per lb pricing. If you really can purchase in 5lb units, you might just try hitting up some local roasters and see of they will cut you a deal...
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

NYC is probably full of Italian grocery stores where you can get some of the beans mentioned on this thread and others about imported beans. Maybe they are more affordable? :

Italian Coffees: not just Kimbo Extra Cream
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

vze26m98

#8: Post by vze26m98 »

peacecup wrote:NYC is probably full of Italian grocery stores where you can get some of the beans mentioned on this thread and others about imported beans. Maybe they are more affordable?
Mention is due for Cerini Coffee in the Bronx, which has an extensive selection of Italian blends, plus a couple of fresh home roasts. When I gets a little warmer, I'll go up to Arthur Avenue and sample their blends:

http://www.cerinicoffee.com/coffee-and- ... beans.html

And if you'd like to try some of the Danesi "Classic" I just bought, I'd be happy to send you some.

Best wishes, Charles

Marshall

#9: Post by Marshall »

Gillies Coffee in NYC is the oldest roaster in America. It's owner, Donald Schoenholt, is one of the founders of the specialty coffee movement and one of the most knowledgeable coffee writers. While Gillies is primarily a wholesale roaster, they also have an extensive and very reasonably priced list of coffees for the home. Their prices are per full pound BTW. http://www.gilliescoffee4home.com
Marshall
Los Angeles

BuckleyT

#10: Post by BuckleyT »

Blue Bottle (rockefeller center and chelsea mkt)
Gimme
Intelligentsia (Highline Hotel, Cafe Ost, Kaffe 1668)
Cafe Grumpy
Joe's Coffee (several locs.)
plus several roasters or branches of some of the above in Bklyn.

I do not like ME Swings 4 mile espresso so I have not tried their other stuff.
I am forcing myself to drink a pound of Circus Dog from Coffee Lab Roasters in Tarrytown. It is way too oily for me; it might even force me to put milk in it.

Buckley