12/27 11AM @ Clive Coffee: Portland roasters & espresso meetup

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
benpiff

#1: Post by benpiff »

Edit! We're getting together at Clive Coffee on 12/27 at 11am. Bring beans you'd like to share, but I'm not sure they'll have room for much else, because it's packed with a ton of new equipment and a new meeting space.

Hey guys, I apologize if there's already a thread dedicated to this, but I wasn't having any luck with the search function except for finding early questions about the Sonofresco ADR. Well I have one (found at a price I couldn't pass up) and have been using it for almost a year now, but a friend told me that this forum was the place to connect with others who are using this. My neighbors definitely love being able to buy from me, so much so that I wish I had a 2lb version too. But I'd love to take more educated initiative for my own espresso journey. Or if there's another fluid bed roaster that could share their experience, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, would anyone else in the Portland area like to get together to roast coffee and drink some espresso? I'd be happy to host with my arsenal of equipment. Email benpiff at gmail if interested, as I'm not sure I'll get notifications of replies.

Moderator note: With Ben's approval I've changed the title and moved this to Cafes and Get Togethers so it will be more widely seen.

LDT

#2: Post by LDT »

Ben: I'm guessing the lack of response to your question may be that there aren't many roasters on this forum using Sonofresco's. I do know some use hot air roasters, though. Even though I've used a small Fresh Roast 500, I doubt I'd be much help.

I live close by (Camas, WA) and just recently talked to another member "drgary" who lives in Ridgefield, WA about starting an informal roaster club of some sorts in the area. Only talk at this point. Maybe the idea will catch on and we can set something up.

keno

#3: Post by keno »

LDT wrote:I live close by (Camas, WA) and just recently talked to another member "drgary" who lives in Ridgefield, WA about starting an informal roaster club of some sorts in the area. Only talk at this point. Maybe the idea will catch on and we can set something up.
LDT, great idea! Let's do it. I think dogjamboree would also be interested. Maybe a once a month get together at someone's house (rotating to share the load).

K

dogjamboree

#4: Post by dogjamboree »

Yes, I'm game! BTW Ben, this is Frank who sold you the K10 Fresh -- hope it's still holding up for you :)

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Ben, if I were in Portland, I would bring my Old Car and Park it in front of your house, roast, and drink coffee. :lol:
Scott
LMWDP #248

benpiff (original poster)

#6: Post by benpiff (original poster) »

Glad to hear the replies! Hiya Frank!

I remember talking to Trevin from Mr Green Beans a couple years ago about hosting a home roaster meetup, but I think it only happened one time. I know quite a few other roasters who would be interested, so it may be that we need a bigger space (I'm wondering when the last Clive meetup was), or multiple smaller home events. What day and time do you guys prefer? Anyone have weekday availability, or is it primarily weekends? I just setup my Vetrano2b, and currently still have my R58 in the kitchen so there's some serious production capacity. I'm not actually going to admit how many other machines I have in my house right now.

Looking forward to hearing from Jonny and Pat about this.

dogjamboree

#7: Post by dogjamboree »

Yeah, if there were more than 3 or 4 people than more space would definitely be a necessity. My roaster is a beast and wouldn't transport easily, not sure about the sonofresco. But I can tell you that Ken has what seems like a 4 or 5 car garage (compared to mine at least, which literally built the model t).

I wouldn't bugging Mark from Clive to ask if he'd be willing to host another. Worst-case, we could all roast ahead of time and do a tasting sessions / roast swap in person.

frank

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

I'm interested, have a North roaster that won't travel and will have lots of space when I clear office furniture out of the garage 12/1. I've also got a nice lever collection. Some of them travel, and I'm happy to host. Live in Ridgefield off exit 11 on I-5.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

LDT

#9: Post by LDT »

Well I guess it's time to start planning our first get-together. It looks like we have 5 or so interested roasters. Any thoughts about doing something sooner or maybe waiting until after the holidays?

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Laron and others:

I don't know if it will be a roasting gathering or an informal get-together. Mike at Compass has posted about his new Synesso machine. Chert responded that he'll be in the area December 20 and is wondering if others want to get together too. That thread is here:

Yesterday was out with the old, in with the new!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!