[SOLD] Copper Pot Coffee Roaster

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
bean2friends

#1: Post by bean2friends »

This is an old copper pot which I believe to be Spanish in origin. I believe that because I inherited it from my in-laws who purchased the summer home, Casa del Lago, of Dr. William Scholl from his estate around 1968. In that home, Dr. Scholl had a bar in which he had imported all the furnishings, the chairs, tables, the bar itself and this pot directly from Spain. This pot had, at that time been converted to a lamp. I found the lamp to be unsteady as the bottom wasn't completely flat so when I got interested in roasting coffee about 4 or 5 years ago, I repurposed it again to be a coffee roaster. I drilled holes in the body to get some air flow and let the smoke out, I installed 3 brass stirring vanes that you can see in one of the pictures, I turned the lid upside down and installed springs to hold the lid on during the roast. So, I have used this about 5 times to roast on a Weber kettle with rotisserie - that's what the holes in the top and bottom are for to accommodate the spit and prongs . Because of the ears, it requires the use of 2 rotisserie spacers with the motor on the bottom spacer and the second spacer just to keep from hitting the lid. So, I fire up some charcoal and when the fire is hot, install the copper roaster and let her rip. This is hot and dangerous business. Be sure to have good ove gloves or similar protection. And, dumping the roasted beans is no picnic. I tried roasting 2 pounds once and ended up with beans coming out of the lid and catching fire. So, I decided to only roast 1 pound at a time. I got some very good roasts out in about 15 minutes. Using a Colombian from the Tolima district, I got a good 1st crack that I could hear and once it died down I stopped the roast. I'm now too old and frail to use this thing, but if you're interested in trying it, I'll sell it for $75 - free shipping. I don't know, but I'd guess the copper itself might be worth $25. Measurements are these: 11 1/4" tall, ear to ear 15", top and bottom across = 7 3/4", widest part of the belly = 11'". My avatar shows the roaster in use.