[SOLD] 1988 Olympia Express Cremina - rebuilt & restored

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
russel

#1: Post by russel »

I wasn't expecting to sell this but I picked up a '74 Cremina in need of some serious love that's a better match for my '74 Club...

This Cremina is sort of hard to describe. I restored it a little over a year ago with an eye towards visual details and not factory authenticity. I have the '88 factory tag somewhere, but it's really a mix of parts from a bunch of different Olympia Express machines. I broke it down to the fame, cleaned and descaled everything, powder coated the frame and the case, replaced lots of parts, gave it a full set of new seals, etc. I like to think of it as a "white tux" themed restoration:

The case and the frame have been powder coated a warm white color, not quite cream.

It has lots of new parts:
  • New pilot light
  • New terminal block
  • New group seals
  • New sight glass seals
  • New element/boiler seal
  • New SS lever pins and clips
And some vintage/out of spec parts:
  • Vintage Olympia power switch that pushes in instead of the modern rocker switches
  • Vintage screw on rectangular black on black feet
  • Modern vac-breaking boiler cap
  • Salvaged Olympia Express badge (gold, paint removed, not attached)

The vintage switch is a little loose, but I think it's worth it for the style points and tactile appeal. The vintage feet are much nicer looking than the cylindrical rubber push in ones. The original machine's case had the Olympia logo printed/painted onto it. I'm including a salvaged Olympia badge because I assume that most buys want to see one somewhere on the back of the machine. I personally don't care for the gold color of the badge, so it comes loose along with the factory tag if I can find that.

There are 2 faults that I have't corrected:
  • The white disk in the boiler cap is loose and in only OK cosmetic condition.
  • Although the exterior of the PF is in good condition and the ears are still sharp on the edges, the interior chrome has work away.
So, this restored Cremina is not quite perfect, but still in great functional and cosmetic condition. I last used it 6 months ago when I finally got the new pilot light. If the white on white color scheme suits you, it's a naked PF short of being excellent.

Price: $1000
Shipping: Pick up around Boston or buyer pays for US shipping
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com