[SOLD] 1959 Caferina pre-Europiccola lever machine & accessories

Used espresso or coffee stuff you hope to sell or buy.
danaleighton

#1: Post by danaleighton »

I am sad to say that it has come time to part with my favorite project: a rare 1959 Caferina lever espresso machine, the predecessor to the Europiccola. I have been unemployed for a few months, and need to liquidate some assets. I use it occasionally, but I would rather have it in use by someone else who will appreciate it more than I do, and my bank account can use the infusion of cash to be used for more pressing things.

Here is a link to a video I made of the machine in action:
This is a rare vintage 1959 Caferina, produced by Piero Diamante (D.P.f) in Milan. According to information from Francesco Ceccarelli, the Caferina (also known as a Co-Fer) was produced for a few years from about 1958/59 until La Pavoni started the Europiccola manufacturing in 1961. Although there are likely others, by web search and direct contact I know of only seven of these machines in existence: mine, a Co-Fer owned by Home-Barista user 2StrokeBloke, one owned by Hollis Call, and two Caferinas and two Co-Fers on Francisco Ceccarelli's web page.

The Caferina is identical to the early Europiccola (models without the water level sight glass), and it is unclear whether La Pavoni licensed the design from D.P.f, D.P.f licensed from LP, or it was sold to La Pavoni. The latter seems most likely.

In any event, the date stamp on the base indicates October, 1959 as the manufacture date, making it one of the earliest models. I purchased this five years ago from a person in Tulsa who had bought it in an antique store some years previous, but it sat unused in his possession. I reconditioned it and brought it up to modern electrical standards in 2009, but otherwise it is all original to my knowledge.

Overall condition is what I would call "very good." The Bakelite and chrome is in very good-excellent condition. Slight flaking of the chrome in one spot on the lever. The base is in fair-good, but not excellent, condition. Some of the blue hammered paint has chipped or worn. The rubber base is in very good condition, no cracks and pliable.

Reconditioning consisted of thorough boiler descale, disassembly of the pressure relief valve and cleaning of the ball, removal and cleaning of the piston sleeve (using Kroil and Everclear), replacement of rod and piston seals, rod seal washer and clip (stainless), and boiler cap and group gaskets (all provided and assisted by Orphan Espresso). Seals were lubricated with DOW 111, and are still in good working condition. I removed the original, cracked, frayed 2-conductor cord, and replaced with a 3-conductor 10A grounded cord, grounded to the base. The original cord is not included. All of the wiring in the base from switch to heating element was replaced. A thermal fuse was added to protect the heating element. Thus, the reconditioning and modernizing makes this probably less of a museum piece and more of a fully functional antique in my opinion.

Nevertheless, it is an awesome and intriguing piece of early home espresso machine history. It is one of the very earliest units intended for the home, following the early 1950s Gaggia Gilda and Faema Faemina, Others who know the esoterica of this progression might chime in.

I am including the following accessories:
2 vintage (1949) Syracuse China cups and saucers bought from Orphan Espresso
2 portafilter baskets: the original basket and a slightly larger capacity basket (an Elektra a Leva MCAL double basket)
A contact thermometer ("Penny's Hot Shot Group Strip Thermometer) has been applied to the group. Orphan Espresso says it is removable (presumably without damage), but I have not tried.
A turquoise-handled custom sized stubby tamper made by Orphan Espresso
A silicone "drip tray" liner I created to help protect the base.
A custom-made "socket" with pins for the screw-in piston sleeve.
A piston seal installation tool from OE.

There is a tiny bit of information about the Caferina on the internet. Here are some links:
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/dp_eng.htm - Francisco Ceccarelli's page
https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... sso/483356 - A PDF with translation of the user manual
1961 La Pavoni Europiccola History and Servicing - One of the first Europiccolas (perhaps the first prototype) owned by Gary Seeman, which was produced after the Caferina/Co-Fer

Because of this machine's rarity, I will be paying special attention to packing, following on Orphan Espresso's guidelines (http://www.orphanespresso.com/PACKING-Y ... 550-1.html). For shipping, it will be double-boxed, and packed in a box using expandable foam, bubble-wrap and custom styrofoam inserts to keep the machine stable and supported in transit. Solid styrofoam will be used to support and stabilize the boxes. Accessories may need to be sent separately.

How do you price something like this that is so rare as not to have a pricing history? I have invested about $225 in reconditioning and accessories. Here is what I am thinking: 1960s vintage working Europiccolas are going for $400, so considering this machine's rarity and historical value, how about $600? If you think that is too much (or too little), let me know. Terms are that buyer pays actual shipping charges via your choice of carrier (USPS, UPS, FedEx, I can provide an estimate) plus $40 for packing materials if I pack it. If you want it professionally packed and shipped by Craters and Freighters, the cost will be $280. Payment via PayPal or other arrangement between us.

If you are interested, PM me through the site (per the rules). My reputation as a seller on eBay is spotless (dana_leighton), and as a long-time member and moderator on CoffeeGeek and semi-active member here on H-B, I believe you can trust that the transaction will proceed well.

Oh, and, by the way, there are less than 59 shopping days until Christmas! :lol:

Here are detailed photos of the machine in its current state and included accessories:

Here are some photos from the reconditioning:
Dana Leighton
LMWDP #269