Yama siphon with Espresso grind?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
GeorgeP922

#1: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Ok the title says it all, I want to know if you can brew espresso grinds in a siphon.
I know the book says "finer than drip", kinda opposite french.

I want to use Espresso grinds for 2 reasons.
First I dont feel like adjusting my Compak K10, sure its just a 180 degree turn, but I am too lazy to do it, then get it right again.
(a little plug for K10, if you freeze and know your beans gassing schedule, you can avoid ever having to adjust grinder for that blend of beans, been doing this with Paradise Nuevo for years).

I also save my "waste" espresso (I overdose), I give it all to my mom, who puts in her french press (whole other story, she is cheap and stubborn and says her stomach is just fine :lol: )

So to conclude, has anyone tried to brew espresso grind in a Yama or similar stove top siphon?
I plan on using the cloth filter, unless suggested otherwise.

PS Im kinda psyched, I have a gas stove, put a brand new one a few months after i got my house last year, cooked on it maybe 10-20 times :oops:

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'm pretty sure you'd run a high risk of imploding the device sending boiling hot shards of glass everywhere when you choke the feed tube. If that doesn't happen, it will likely just clog and you'll get nowhere. If it doesn't clog, you'll be drinking extremely overextracted brew.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
jonny

#3: Post by jonny »

I wouldn't think it would be that dramatic otherwise we'd see the same thing happening in other glass devices that have been vacuumed like light bulbs, amplifier tubes, etc.

GeorgeP922 (original poster)

#4: Post by GeorgeP922 (original poster) »

Haha, well I dont want broken soft glass, had enough broken bodum cups to last me a lifetime.

I will play around with it and see what happens. I will start with the suggested grind.

I have been enjoying my Izzo 1 and duetto for 6 years now.
I am doing this more for fun, and to be well rounded. At best I could see myself using this at most one weekend day, at least once a month.
And I like to collect coffee gear.

After writing this post, I forgot I had a buyers remorse Macap M4 doserless stepless grinder.
I got it, tried to dial it in, had it at the coarsest setting, then when trying to adjust it fine (with the motor turning) the turns got more stiff until it locked into place. I couldnt move it either direction, frustrated at my purchase of 600 dollar grinder for drip, I put it in the closet.
I will focus this weekend on getting that sucker fixed.

#5: Post by GeorgeP922 (original poster) »

While on topic on siphons, does anyone know downsides to using the stove?

A staff writer at coffeegeek wrote that the butane burner models are better, but he doesnt say why.
Im guessing its for better control when steeping? If so, thats a weak reason.
I bought myself a brand new gas range for my house to replace the previous owners 20 year old one, and i dont cook :mrgreen: so I try to find uses all the time for the stove.

Also, we should push for a HB siphon guide, CG already has one, but it leaves some to be desired.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

From what I hear of siphon implosions, you want to avoid them. The combination of broken glass and hot water is not a good one. If you have a stuck pot (not using espresso grinds) you can bring the lower bowl back up to temp to relieve the pressure. I've also had some luck jiggling my glass filter rod when I had stuck pots due to a cheap grinder before upgrading to my Vario.

The downside of a stovetop model is that you cannot brew the coffee on your coffee table for a showy presentation. The upside of a stovetop model is that you can cook breakfast and make coffee at the same time. I brew in my Yama 8 next to a big pan of bacon, not every weekend but at least monthly. I had to learn how to control the siphon on a radiant electric cooktop which cycles the burner on and off... this makes siphon and especially moka pot tricky, but can be done. Once you've got the water to rise in the siphon and everything at the right temp, it's pretty easy to hold the temp on a stove. Another advantage of the stove is ease of use. It's recommended if you're going to use a burner to pre-heat the water for the siphon to get a headstart, but I start my pots from cold, clean filtered water on the stove and go about the business of grinding the coffee and fixing breakfast and find that I don't have to worry about boiling the water separately.

For the surplus espresso grind, I'd suggest possibly playing with a Moka Pot. I think the grind would still be too fine for a Caffettiera Napoletana (flip pot) but they should work in a Moka Pot or maybe an Aeropress.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

jonny wrote:I wouldn't think it would be that dramatic otherwise we'd see the same thing happening in other glass devices that have been vacuumed like light bulbs, amplifier tubes, etc.

You're comparing apples to brake pads.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
jonny

#8: Post by jonny »

TomC wrote:You're comparing apples to brake pads.
Haha I don't know which is which. Aren't these made out of borosilicate glass? I thought that kind of glass can withstand high heat, heat swings, and pressure, hence the use of it for lab equipment. Is this not the case? Maybe I made up the durability to pressure?

#9: Post by GeorgeP922 (original poster) »

Yakster thanks for the tip. I didnt know implosion was on the list for siphon devices.
wow.

OT: As far as dangerous espresso things, a few months ago a reg barber fell from my counter onto my bare foot. I may have broke something, the pain went away in 2 weeks.
Not coffee related but could be, I use the instahot tap I have to rinse portafilters, but also to rinse my cats correlle food bowls. Some how I moved away from the sink, it slipped and spilled 190f water onto my socked feet. Lucky I know what happens with tight clothing and hot water and peeled my sock off just in time.

If the upside to the butane models is doing on a table, irrelevant for me, I have a city house with a "huge kitchen" big enough for dining table, I have wrap around counters that house my Izzo and K10.
From what you write it would appear that gas stoves would alleviate the cycle issue.
I also have an infrared temp gun to make sure its not too hot.

Keep in mind, this is just for fun, I might fall in love, I might really impress someone, but I am a geek for coffee gear. Just ask Mary at chris coffee how much junk I have boughten (well not junk).

As far as the waste grinds, I will just keep giving them to mom, however for her birthday I am going to get her the Bonavita coffee maker. As long as I give her the espresso, she will put in the press :roll:

And props on making bacon and coffee at the same time, not only does it sound badass, I could never handle that, but I will make it a goal. Thanks for the influence! and tips.

#10: Post by GeorgeP922 (original poster) »

jonny wrote:Haha I don't know which is which. Aren't these made out of borosilicate glass? I thought that kind of glass can withstand high heat, heat swings, and pressure, hence the use of it for lab equipment. Is this not the case? Maybe I made up the durability to pressure?
TomC hillarious.
jonny, I think I read pyrex is borscillate and just engineered to be too thick to break?
I cant imagine steam pressure/vacuume would break something like that.

It would be nice if we had a write up on these, not too in the weeds just enough so a new users wont be disuaded. Although if I go to use it and its easy as anything, I will post it.
Im not aiming for the perfect cup, just how to operate it. I will prob use it to entertain guests. And show off in my china cabinet.