Yama Silverton - Thoughts?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Bbdude

#1: Post by Bbdude »

Hi All,

Wanted to get your thoughts on the Yama Silverton? I searched the forum and saw a few comments around the design, etc., but I'm curious if any of you use it consistently and your thoughts? I went to La Colombe the other day in Philly and they use the Yama Silverton for their pour overs.

I must say that I don't think I've ever had such a great cup of coffee. Sure it could have been the beans used (KENYA, IBUTITI ESTATE WORKSHOP), but it was just a solid cup of coffee! How does using something like the Yama Silverton impact the taste of the coffee? Say as compared to my Bonavita?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

alexsmith

#2: Post by alexsmith »

I didn't try it, but it looks over designed to me and I doubt if it's actually usable.
Why you need it?

Advertisement
Bbdude (original poster)

#3: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to alexsmith »

I don't "need it", but it made quite an excellent cup of coffee. It seems to be a mix of pour over and french press. I don't think I've seen anything else out there like this. Wasn't sure if it does anything special to the coffee my Bonavita or whether my enjoyment of the coffee was just perceived to be better considering the source.

Thoughts?

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I've not seen one in person, but on the surface it seems like a really expensive Clever or Bonavita valved dripper. Is there something else it does that the Clever doesn't except look pretty? It certainly looks a lot better than the Clever.

Ira

Bbdude (original poster)

#5: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to ira »

Nope - does the same thing. I've never seen or even heard of the Clever or Bonavita Valve Dripper before. Interesting.

tamarian

#6: Post by tamarian »

Note that the valve on the Silverton is the same as the valve on cold towers. You can time it for a drop or two per second for cold brew. You just add coffee, paper filter on top, then ice and cold water.

Cold be a clever with metal filter with the valve closed, or dripper with metal filter, with the valve open.

Shife

#7: Post by Shife »

alexsmith wrote:I didn't try it, but it looks over designed to me and I doubt if it's actually usable.
Why you need it?
On a personal level I don't need any of this stuff, but I sure do want a lot of it. I have a Trinity One on order. I'll buy just about anything if it gives me an excuse to brew coffee.

Advertisement
Bbdude (original poster)

#8: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to Shife »

Looks like a fancy AERO Press?

Shife

#9: Post by Shife replying to Bbdude »

Pretty much. If it doesn't work or is difficult to clean it will be an expensive lesson that I probably won't learn. Latest update is possible Spring 2016 delivery.