Yama Silverton Pourover/Cold Brew Device

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
chang00

#1: Post by chang00 »

Saw this at a trade show and the web. Sized to be home friendly, elegant, and dual use. The adjustable valve has a nice feel and comes with stainless steel drip cone. It can be used as a full immersion brewer just like the Clever.

http://www.northwestglass.com/silverton ... p-642.html

EvanOz85

#2: Post by EvanOz85 »

Looks like they copied the design of Keith's Kone immersion brewer...

chang00 (original poster)

#3: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

Ummmm.....I beg to differ. This design is common in Asian cold brewers, and this Yama design was just a smaller version.

The glass and valve design is basic to separation funnel, commonly seen in high school chemistry labs. The stopcock/valve is also common in various other industrial applications, like IV, hysteroscope, cystoscope, etc, etc. If anything, I think the coffee industry copies en bloc of other industrial designs. :twisted:

TheSunInsideYou

#4: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

Wow. Looks pretty sleek. I'm into it.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau »

I think Evan meant this never-released prototype: http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/year-of-the-coava/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#6: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

Search "separation funnel" and literally there are hundreds of pictures and vendors. Attach a chromatography glass column to a stopcock and stand and you have a cold brew tower. These are common lab set ups.

The Coava picture literally has a ubiquitous lab stand and ring, in addition to the common stopcock and funnel. I hope nobody says the whole chemical industry copied Coava's "design". :D

jbviau
Supporter ★

#7: Post by jbviau »

Oh, I agree with you. Anyhoo, this gadget was discussed a little over on CG in Dec. (link). Seems NW Glass had listed it inadvertently at the wholesale price--oops!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jonny

#8: Post by jonny »

Henry, people are just speculating and noting the similarities to something Able Brewing/Coava was playing with in the exact same way that you are speculating that Yama came up with this idea solely based on cold brew contraptions and chemistry equipment. Unless, you work for Yama, you can't say one way or the other. NOW, Able never brought there device into production and I don't think they have plans to do so, so no harm, no foul! It is extremely probable that Able got the idea from chemistry equipment and/or cold brew contraptions in the first place, but they did make this exact setup first. Is it possible that Yama never saw the Able unit and thought of their own all by themselves? Yes, but I'd say it's probable that they did in fact see what Able did and they thought it was neat so they made something similar, even down to the stainless filter cone. Is anyone upset about this? I hope not because Able never brought the darn thing to market! I'm sure the folks at Able Brewing have seen this Yama piece, and they probably are not upset about it either. Speculating is good, constructive discussion but arguing for either side is moot.

EDIT: I apologize in advance if this sounds pointed as it is not intended to be.

#9: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

The stainless steel filter on the Yama is cylinder and not a cone on the unit I saw. There is also a ceramic filter on the bottom just above the stopcock, and another indentation for a second filter typically found for the cold brew.

Again, these are common lab set ups, and if anything, I would say Coava or Yama copied other indusrial practices, and not the other way around. These are such everyday set ups in a lab, that a chemist would not claim it to be her/his own. :mrgreen:

jedovaty

#10: Post by jedovaty »

I've been tinkering with trying cold brew for months now.

This looks like they sit the ice right on top of the coffee, and then use the stopcock to vary that drip? I thought it's the other way around: ice/water -> stopcock -> drip -> coffee -> filter -> beverage. Strange.

A local shop has the tiamo drip thingy. I'm tempted :) But this one looks far more elegant.