Wilfa Precision coffee brewer - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Chnl

#11: Post by Chnl »

Thanks for the update! I just missed the 20% off sale by hesitating due to lack of reviews on the web. I guess that's a clue to go with something else? lol Darn it. I wonder why it's not SCAA approved and certified.

skittles_s (original poster)

#12: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Check Williams-Sonoma's site daily. In past years, the 20% off discount came back right around Christmas.

So far I've only been brewing 300ml and 600ml batches for one and two cups respectively. It continues to perform well. This morning's Olympia Bank Natural was fantastic. The only negative I have thus far is that my 10 cup Chemex is just ever slightly too wide to use as a brew vessel. But I guess this is my issue and not the machine's; if only I had a 6 cup Chemex. :roll: At some point I'll put my V60 or similar under and try that out. And the filter holder can be used like a Clever brewer which also invites some experimentation.

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#13: Post by Eastsideloco »

Chnl wrote:I wonder why it's not SCAA approved and certified.
It seems like there's usually a lag between the commercial release of a product and SCAA certification. It's entirely possible that the Wilfa Precision brews per the SCAA guidelines, but that the testing just isn't complete yet. Besides taking time to perform the tests, I assume manufacturers also have to pay to have their products tested.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#14: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Yes. Case in point: it took the Behmor Brazen a long time to make the certified list.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Clint Orchuk

#15: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Sorry I missed the two previous questions. Yes I found the shower head lacking on both the Technivorm and the Wilfa compared to the new Bonavita. Another factor played into the decision also and it was the price point. Retailing the Technivorm or the Wilfa out of our shop would have been tough due to their high cost. The Bonavita's lower price point makes it a better choice for retail, and it made more sense for Limestone to sell the same brewer we ended up using for our drip as well.

ihg90

#16: Post by ihg90 »

I bought the Wilfa a couple of days ago (coming from a capresso grind-and-brew with a basket filter). I have a Baratza Vario with steel burrs - am trying to find the right grind for the Wilfa - can't quite get it right. I typically make a half pot (.5 liter, with about 32g of coffee). Set the Wilfa flow control to .5L (closed for the first 30 seconds or so). Can you tell me what kind of grind you're using for your great wilfa results? Hard to verbalize, I know - but relatively fine? medium?

Thanks
Ian

ohofmann

#17: Post by ohofmann »

Is this actually being sold in the US outside of Scandinavia? I am having the hardest time tracking down a vendor in the UK, Netherlands or other places.

Advertisement
ihg90

#18: Post by ihg90 »

I bought mine at Williams-Sonoma (.com)

skittles_s (original poster)

#19: Post by skittles_s (original poster) »

Ian, I am using a Lido 2 at one rotation + 1.5 steps. I consider this closer to medium than to fine but such subjective, relative descriptions probably aren't useful. I will try to get a picture of some grounds later today.

Have you tried making a few batches as intended: i.e., without any manual intervention? If you're closing the basket to get full immersion of the grounds, I think you would probably want to compensate by opening the aperture a bit larger than your batch size to speed the drainage and avoid over-extraction.

Also, I noticed one quirk with my basket holder. The labels are about one "click" off on the low end (or I am reading it incorrectly). The setting between the 0.5l and the beginning of the "drip stop" range actually stops the flow. For 300ml, I am using the 0.5l setting. For 600ml, I am using the setting between 0.75l and 0.5l as expected.

Finally, I saw a post on CoffeeGeek complaining about a low brew temperature so I stuck my thermometer in the slurry this morning. It quickly ramped up to and held between 202.5 and 203.5 through the brew cycle.

ihg90

#20: Post by ihg90 »

Thanks John - the Lido 2 looks like a nice grinder. Perhaps I'm grinding too fine, even for a cone filter. That's an interesting point about compensating for the immersion, and about the labels. I'll try it both without any manual intervention, and with a larger aperture opening. And I'll try a coarser grind. Being a scientist, I won't try everything at once :-)

If a picture isn't too much trouble, that'd be really helpful!

Thanks again!
Ian