Why havent we started cold brewing with a Clever dripper?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Ok.. so i have an idea...

i put 30g of coffee (medium coarse) in a clever and put 300g of cold filtered water into it which makes a 1:10 brew ratio.... then i place the clever into the fridge for 6 hours... then immediately place the Clever onto the decanter and let it drain....

Would it work for a nice cold brew? can it compete against the fairly large and very not so sexy looking Toddy?

I will try it out and see if i could dial in the grind further in order for it to drain faster... i aim for a 30 second drain time... but of coarse i will also tweak brew time because extraction rates will vary when using another grind size.. hopefully i get 1.4% (-/+ 0.2%) TDS in my BRIX refractometer (calibrated with distilled water.. and now reads 0 BRIX when distilled water is placed in it)

Thanks guys... hopefully I'm not the only one getting this brainwave... although it's impossible to find an article about cold brewing using a CCD on the internet :D
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

I am doing cold brew with a Filtron system - it's so easy/dialed in that I didn't get any further to your consider your idea. We're semi-fanatical about cold brew - the flavor is astounding.

Advertisement
TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#3: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Damn... i wish i had the Filtron... that would make life easier.. ;)
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I'd be a bit concerned about leaving the filter in contact with water that long, either leaching out of undesirable filter flavors or just risk of breakdown and clogging. If you want something simple you can just soak the coffee in a jar and then filter it later.

I'm not a huge cold brew fan (I prefer to extract the coffee with hot water through a filter into ice to retain more of the flavors that I like) but I did try out and eventually picked up a Bruer cold brew drip system and I think it works pretty well for a cold brew solution. Fairly compact, I looked at making my own with a separatory funnel or IV bag into an Aeropress but figured out I'd probably be spending the same for a less compact system and I ran across a $10 off coupon on Twitter and off I went. You can do a hot bloom before your cold drip to help retain some of the brightness and acidity of a hot brew, but be sure to set your drip rate first as this will usually fog up the Bruer making it hard to see the drips.

Lately I've been trying combining a concentrated cold brew with carbonated water for a refreshing drink.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

doppiodan

#5: Post by doppiodan »

I cold brew in a sealed Nalgene bottle or mason jar. I then filler using a clever or, usually, do a first stage through a metal strainer, then an Aeropress with paper filter. This gives a smooth, liquory and fine-free brew. The clever took forever to drain and I wouldn't brew 24 hrs in an open vessel.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:i put 30g of coffee (medium coarse) in a clever and put 300g of cold filtered water into it which makes a 1:10 brew ratio.... then i place the clever into the fridge for 6 hours... then immediately place the Clever onto the decanter and let it drain...
RayTCoffeePro/TheJavaCup77: For future reference, please review Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? before starting another thread. The contributors to this thread may wish to read Ray's similar thread Can we cold brew with Clever? on CoffeeGeek before replying here to avoid needlessly repeating here what others have already suggested there.
Dan Kehn