What's the Aeropress secret?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I've been using the Aeropress for a few years now. I love it.

But now that I'm getting into roasting and getting exposed to different brewing methods, I'm confused.

The suggested brewing instructions for the Aeropress is 175* water and a 10-second brew time with a 20-second plunge. Compared to the 4 minute brew times and 200* water that typically used for drip coffee.

Doesn't that translate into a significantly under extracted cup in the Aeropress?

I can't argue; I've yet to drip a cup half as good as my Aeropress produces.

MWJB

#2: Post by MWJB »

In drip, after grinds have degassed, lost bouyancy & settled in the bed, we're really expecting (relatively) fresh, hot water to be flowing through the bed, rinsing out TDS.

With the Aeropress, typically there is some stirring/agitation (like in the the first 30s of a French press brew) & a big sudden hike in extraction, that tails off...until you plunge & then the coffee (not water) passing through the bed picks up what it can, time & grind allowing. This is one reason why brewing at espresso grind & ratios won't get you comparable concentrations in an Aeropress (typical methods), compared to an espresso machine.

Under/overextraction is easier/harder depending on your method. For steeped Aeropress brews I do find that I need to extract further to get to comparable French press/Sowden brews. You can drip brew in the Aeropress, using the plunge to replace gravity when/before the brew stalls, then brew times & temp are pretty comparable to regular drip.

Coffee a little underextracted can be acidic, but underextract it a little more (..er less? Contradiction in terms?) and it can be sweet & rich, if somewhat generic.

RioCruz

#3: Post by RioCruz »

Almico wrote:I've been using the Aeropress for a few years now...
I can't argue; I've yet to drip a cup half as good as my Aeropress produces.
Go with that. I have a cupboard full of brewing devices that all sit silently unused since starting with the Aeropress shortly after it first hit the market...maybe 10 years ago? Can't remember for sure. At this point, I rarely use other brewing methods because the proof in the cup just keeps me coming back.

I essentially use the Aeropress formula pretty much as they say...but for a 6 oz. cup of juice...not espresso. It's never going to be espresso. That's what the Riviera and Pavoni do much better. I grind fairly fine. Not espresso fine, but finer than for French press or even moka pot.

I've tried the inverted method, but much prefer the normal way. It works for me. My theory is, too, that the instructions given by Aeropress are meant to produce the best results for the most people cuz they want people to buy their product. Seems to be working out well for them...and for me, too!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Alan Adler likes to drink coffee roasted to the start of second crack. 175F works well for coffee at that roast level as discussed above. I've tasted his personally brewed coffee at espresso brew ratio and it's comparable although of course lacking the crema. He suggests that one can add a pinch of grounds to the coffee in the cup to more closely simulate what's obtained in a traditional espresso machine. He does not steep his "Aerobrew" but stirs it for about 10 seconds and then gently leans on the plunger to press through.

I like the clean cup produced by the AeroPress. I like the temperature control because it has good insulating properties. Sometimes I steep by inserting the plunger after stirring and allow it to hold the coffee from draining out, one of the many methods posted somewhere without the inconvenience of inverting. Sometimes I use his method and press through.

Generally I like the controllability of this device. I find the limited capacity a shortcoming and don't consider Aerobrew the same drink as espresso created under pressure.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!