Weird smell from Chemex?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
brisbane87

#1: Post by brisbane87 »

Hi all -

I've recently branched out from my espresso-centric setup and bought a Hario Slim and 3-cup Chemex for pourover brewing. I'm generally happy with the Chemex (though I'm still trying to coax more brightness and acidity out of my coffee), but after a week of use the Chemex itself has taken on a weird smell -- something like overcooked brussels sprouts crossed with burning rubber. A strange, unpleasant smell. I can't understand why given I rinse the glass immediately with near-boiling water and have also tried letting it sit with soap for an hour. It doesn't smell until it dries. I can't tell if it's affecting the coffee but I hardly see it as a helpful factor.

Any idea what is going on here?

TheSunInsideYou

#2: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

I'm not sure why this would create such a smell, but I would be careful with all the soap. Soap leaves a residue that needs to be scrubbed off, which is difficult, unless you have a proper cleaning brush or something of the sort. I can't think of a soap that would leave a brussel sprouts smell, but it's a thought.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

brisbane87 (original poster)

#3: Post by brisbane87 (original poster) »

I hear you on the soap (I rinse my whisky glasses with only hot water), but I only started using it to try to get rid of the smell.

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

If it's the soap, try a coconut oil based dish detergent. I buy Dishmate at our local coop. I find that it leaves no residual film, odor, or oils.

http://www.ecos.com/Dishmate_Almond.html
-----
LMWDP #339

cai42
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by cai42 »

Greetings,

It might be the water you are using since the odor occurs on drying.

Cliff

coffeedom

#6: Post by coffeedom »

There may be trace amounts of sulphur containing compounds in your water supply, which can give a fishy, rotten egg, or plant matter smell to glasses when water dries on them, especially if not well rinsed and dried. Try using some baking soda and boiling distilled water to remove any trace of smell or remaining compounds, then rinse with boiled distilled or spring water. Dry with a clean towel and see if any smell remains.

If your home uses PVC piping, the hot water especially may take on a bit of a rubbery smell if water sits for a while. Sometimes old hot water tanks have the same effect. Change up your water source to see if this is the problem.

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso »

WRT to soap, I also dont use traditional dish soap on any of my coffee cups, nor do I put them in the dishwasher.

Hot water, and after a few uses/rinses Ill use a light cafiza/joe glo mix to clean them.

I hesitate to mention this because people have jumped on me about it before, but Simple Green is a cleaner that I use all around my house, and Ive used it on my coffee cups many times as well. Unlike dish detergent, simplegreen washes clean and leaves no residue, and is fully biodegradable, if thats important to you. It comes in many different flavors, the original green being the one Im talking about here. Its without a doubt the most versatile cleaner spray I know of that is food safe and doesn't leave a residue on the cups. YMMV.

bostonbuzz

#8: Post by bostonbuzz »

This is very odd. You should definitely check your water. Is there any fracking or something nearby? The only other thing I could think of is some crazy robusta bean which is reported to often have a burnt rubber smell.
LMWDP #353