Walkure pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
cygnusx1

#1: Post by cygnusx1 »

I was considering the different pour over equipment available and noticed that there was not much mentioned here of the Walkure pour over brewers. Does anyone have this type of brewer? What are your thoughts on it compared to others such as Kalita?

oktyone

#2: Post by oktyone »

I bought a vintage one at a flea market a couple of years ago but hardly ever use it due to it being the largest size available (1 liter) and hardly ever having the need to brew so much coffee, brewing less than what's intented produces an inferior cup, so consider that if you decide on buying one, i think they come in 3 sizes, the 1 liter one being the largest.

I don't think it could be compared to the Kalita Wave brewers, it's another thing entirely, with having a flat bed perhaps being the only thing in common. Taste-wise, the few times i've brewed coffee with it, i can say that i managed to produce a cup that far exceeded my expectations, i'd say full bodied more similar to cups brewed in syphons or nel-drips than a french press.

The ceramic mesh filter does a good job at not letting too much fines into the lower caraffe, better than i thought it would anyway. The water distributor at the top chamber is the coolest feature, it showers water delicately and evenly through the whole bed of coffee, skipping the need for a pour over kettle. Preheating the lower part is a must, as the ceramic draws a lot of heat away from the brew.

These kinds of brewers have existed since at least since the mid XIX and were popular in France, England and central Europe, they're also known as DuBelloy Pot or French Drip Pot, where Walküre stands over the rest is in the exclusive use of ceramic, most others use a combination of ceramic and metal (for the water distributor and filter), or enamel. Vietnamese coffee brewers work pretty similarly too, probably a french influence from colonial times.

SimonPatrice

#3: Post by SimonPatrice »

I've had the 0.7l model for about 6 months and I like it quite a lot. It makes for a cleaner cup than you'd think. The tiny amount of grounds that sometimes goes past the filter usually doesn't make it into the cup. I especially like not having to use anything else than the porcelain brewer, coffee and water. No paper, no metal. I find it a bit finicky though and still haven't found the perfect grind size and time for it. I do suspect that it would be easier if I used it for two cups instead of one. But being the only coffee drinker in the family (well, if you don't count my two kids who always ask to taste my coffees and espresso shots) I haven't tried that just yet. Oh, and I preheat the whole brewer, especially the water dispenser as to not lose too much heat when I pour.

I've never used a Kalita myself so I couldn't really compare the two. An advantage I could see to the Walkure is that you don't have to be as precise with the pour as the dispenser does the job for you in a way.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#4: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

brewing less than what's intented produces an inferior cup, so consider that if you decide on buying one
Excellent suggestion. I was not sure which size to select being that I don't drink decafe like my wife does.
The ceramic mesh filter does a good job at not letting too much fines into the lower caraffe, better than i thought it would anyway.
The tiny amount of grounds that sometimes goes past the filter usually doesn't make it into the cup. I especially like not having to use anything else than the porcelain brewer, coffee and water. No paper, no metal.
This is one thing that I was concerned about. One would think that there would be a considerable amount of fines that pass through the mesh grid.
The water distributor at the top chamber is the coolest feature, it showers water delicately and evenly through the whole bed of coffee, skipping the need for a pour over kettle.
An advantage I could see to the Walkure is that you don't have to be as precise with the pour as the dispenser does the job for you in a way.
I suspect that this will help my wife who might not be as zealous as me in the mecahnics of brewing and just wants her cup! :lol:

Patrice, Okty - Thank you for your input! I appreciate it. I think I might give the two systems a whirl and compare. What brew profiles work well for you?

SimonPatrice

#5: Post by SimonPatrice »

I posted a reply (or thought that I did) yesterday night but it doesn't show up so I'll try again.

I have been using 18g/290g with water at around 204F, medium grind, 4min (including a 30sec bloom) pulse pouring. Yesterday, I tried doubling the quantity keeping all the variables the same except time which was more 5min. and it was really good. The only thing is that I tried that again this morning and it wasn't very good. Honestly, I'm almost relieved as drinking two cups of coffee in a row in the morning is a bit much.

I also took pictures of the leftover fines and grounds that make it into the brewer's recipient (pic 1) and into the cup which is virtually nothing (pic 2)

Hope this helps.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

That is fairly impressive. It's unfortunate this brewer costs so much and has such a limited availability. I've been tempted to try one since I saw it a few years back, but there is nowhere to get it in Canada, and Prima won't ship here.

There are some comments on Youtube about it requiring a coarse grind that negatively affects extraction and taste. Mark Prince notes on CG that the spreader lid works remarkably well since the water travels under the lid and cascades all over the bed of coffee. I'd be interested to see a video of that in action from below.
Chris

#7: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

Pictures are worth at least a couple hundred words! :mrgreen: I didn't think that it would be even that clear. Thanks Patrice!

Bob I agree with you on the price but I think, because it doesn't require filters, the purchase cost would be in fact your operational cost (having not to buy filters). The Kalita that I also ordered was cheaper but requires a specific filter that is rather pricey. But I went with it anyway. :roll:

When I get it, I'll try an post a video on it for you.

jptvelo

#8: Post by jptvelo »

Bob_McBob wrote:That is fairly impressive. It's unfortunate this brewer costs so much and has such a limited availability. I've been tempted to try one since I saw it a few years back, but there is nowhere to get it in Canada, and Prima won't ship here.
There's a new-ish cafe in Ottawa which sells them: Cafe Illume. I don't recall how much, and they may not ship, but you can call them to find out.

SimonPatrice

#9: Post by SimonPatrice »

Well, if you ever come by Montreal they sell them at Cafe Myriade II on St-Viateur (at least, that's where I bought it 6-7 months ago. I paid 95$ for the 0,7l model. They might also sell them at the original location on Mackay.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

#10: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

I tried the Walkure for the first time this morning. I ground to about the size of kosher salt right into the holder section. I started off with 18g/290g like Patrice. It was very much sweeter and brighter to me than drip. A very pleasant surprise. I do think I need to maybe adjust the grind size. I didn't really time the brewing because I was running late but I just couldn't wait for later to try it out.