Using a scale when brewing pourover...

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Taz

#1: Post by Taz »

Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out efficient ways to do v60 pour over brewing in a cafe environment and I keep running into some questions that I can't figure out. I know this is the "home" barista forums, but if you guys have any ideas, please share!

one question is: how would you weigh the water to be poured through the coffee. It's easy at home when I can put the hario kettle and dripper on one scale, then measure just the water i'm pouring. But what about when you have five cones on some sort of pourover station? you obviously cannot measure the water being poured into one cone, maybe just coffee in the cup. but that wouldn't be that useful. it is possible that the water would be measured in the kettle before pouring, but that would decrease efficiency to have to measure out every cup.

It seems like the only feasible way to brew multiple pourovers is by eye, or by having multiple single pourover stations. single pourover stations would probably be ideal but more expensive, while doing it by eye would require much more confidence in the barista that is pouring. I am considering building my own pourover station, but I'm just trying to think how that could work.

hopefully this post makes sense to you all. I'm looking forward to any thoughts anyone might have

thanks,

Tom

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Well I've seen it done quite a few ways. A lot seem to go by the eye. And I think if you are paying attention going by the eye isn't the worst and it also depends on the method you are using the V60.

Going by eye I think works well if you are using a constant pour method keep the bed fully submerged and at a constant level until you reach your target finished brew. However, seems like that would stink in a busy cafe.

Only other option is what you mentioned premeasuring the water. Arrange your hot water tower to be right next to your pour over station if possible and keep multiple kettles out doing a bloom and one large pour method.

Sounds like you need a scouting mission to other cafes. :wink:

MWJB

#3: Post by MWJB »

Taz wrote: But what about when you have five cones on some sort of pourover station? you obviously cannot measure the water being poured into one cone, maybe just coffee in the cup. but that wouldn't be that useful. it is possible that the water would be measured in the kettle before pouring, but that would decrease efficiency to have to measure out every cup.
I disagree, measuring the output in the cup can be much more informative. Your output weight compared to water added can vary considerably for a number of reasons. We'll assume though that your brewer size, dosing & grind are consistent, either aim for a consistent low water line & pull the cup away when you get your desired output & strength. Or, if you fill & drain, do a few test runs see if you can eyeball the full level in the brewer, you can go a little over on the water (leave a bit above the bed at the end) without throwing things out. If you add water in pulses & let each addition drain completely, then that should be pretty consistent too.

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

I've been to most of the better shops in NYC, Philly, and Portland looking for ways to help my customers here be more efficient and able increase their service level. Honestly, the best set up I've seen is the one here in Asheville at Waking Life Espresso. Vario-W's for each coffee on the bar, three V-60's each with their own decanter and scale, and a Fetco hot water dispenser. Smartly, they keep a Fetco batch brewer going until 11am for those who would rather not wait.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Taz (original poster)

#5: Post by Taz (original poster) »

Thanks for your responses!

MWJB, I did not mean that measuring the output in the cup was useless altogether. just that it wouldn't be that great of a help as far as trying to monitor water volume while pouring.

But now that I think about it, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to eyeball the pour and just pull the cup if I added a little much (as long as it's not way off).

Waking life espresso's setup does sound optimal though. I guess the budget will have to be examined!

I'll have to see how some of the local cafes do it. I'm close to square one, and i'm pretty sure they just eye it up with pretty good results

Nuprin

#6: Post by Nuprin »

Weight of the output is much more accurate and consistent than eyeballing it. Also, I don't agree with weighing the water in the kettle because you loose so much heat during the pour, that by the 2 or 3 minute mark, your water temp has dropped 20 degrees. We use the Bona Vita PID kettles and have at least two times the water that we need in the kettle to maintain thermal mass/heat. You'll still loose a good 5 degrees during that 4 minutes but it's a lot better than 20 degrees!

Often times I'll place the kettle back on the heating element halfway through the pour and let it heat back up a few degrees before continuing my pour.

endlesscycles

#7: Post by endlesscycles »

There's a reason batch brewed is always better. I suspect it is in part due to thermal stability. Absolutely lower turbulence and an even bed depth, too.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

That might be a little strongly worded, but I do use my BraZen for brew sizes over 0.6 liters.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Taz (original poster)

#9: Post by Taz (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote:There's a reason batch brewed is always better. I suspect it is in part due to thermal stability. Absolutely lower turbulence and an even bed depth, too.
That's a pretty broad statement. and I'm not sure that I agree. unless I'm confused about what you're saying? care to elaborate?

Taz (original poster)

#10: Post by Taz (original poster) »

Also, I could see how you could get pretty accurate at brewing by eye. If you're using the same dripper and same size cup every time, I think you would get used to the correct amount to pour and when to pour.